UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The TCT Refurbishment Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a thought... has anyone ever experienced renewing the spring when stripping a TCT.
Either for a direct replacement or something with a little more tension.

I understand the TCT also works using spring energy for when the engine is started up, then oil pressure takes over and applys the full needed tension to the chain.

I'm just thinking that with a stonger spring, it might eleminate the need to ever change them again.

Mine is pretty bad at the moment and ive got Matt supplying me with a new one in the next few weeks. but im thinking if i had a stronger spring i would not get the ticking sound as i only get it on warm idle, if i rev a little (raising oil press) it goes away.

Just a thought........?
Old 11-08-2011, 11:58 PM

I stretch the spring out again when refurbing, but I haven't replaced for a stronger one - it has been done, though.

P.J - I haven't had a chance to look at your video, but humming will indeed be the intake. Ticking could either be TCT (though once they start to go, they get worse very quickly in my experience - as in, within a few hundred miles it'll be at a point where it drives you mad) - it could also be tappets - have they ever been done?
Old 11-09-2011, 06:58 AM

To my knowledge the tappets have not been done before, can't see anything mentioned in the service history anyway, is getting those checked/done a big job?
Old 11-09-2011, 10:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Please keep discussion to the refurb of TCTs, not tappets.

PJ, please pm me with your intentions...you still haven't let me know if you'd like one or not.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:30 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought a sand blasting attachment for my air compressor a few weeks back.

Now I need to get hold of a TCT to allow me to do swaps. Where is the cheapest place to get TCTs nowdays?

Old 11-10-2011, 10:35 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will not be taking on any more orders for refurbishments. I will be spending most of next year on the high seas, and want some time off beforehand.

The following people WILL receive a refurbed TCT as discussed:

s2kjdm
McConnell
bkz187
buann
stew-t (subject to payment)
Old 11-16-2011, 08:48 AM

I fitted one of Matt's refurbed TCTs last week and there's been no ticking since. MASSIVE thanks to him and the exceptional service he's done for many of us on here.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:41 AM

A quick question for the TCT refurb gurus.

Can anyone point me in the direction of obtaining replacement O-rings for the TCT back cover (the one covering the oil bolt) i believe that a second hand TCT i purchased might have faulty ones and i need replacements.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2012, 05:25 AM

Just fitted and sent back the TCT. Many thanks to Matt for all the work he's done for all of us.
Old 01-04-2012, 06:34 AM

On that note, is anyone else providing this service at all? Could really do with a refurbed TCT...

Quick Reply: The TCT Refurbishment Thread