UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

The TCT Refurbishment Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 08:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lead time is now around 5 weeks folks...looks like I'm going to be busy!
Old 10-04-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on Matt's list I think, but I am slightly concerned that replacing the worm gear with a sandblasted one that although it will work for a year or more if we are putting off the inevitable (changing the timing chain) and potentially causing more damage to the car ?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
I am on Matt's list I think
You are
Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 AM

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by s2k_Nut
I am on Matt's list I think, but I am slightly concerned that replacing the worm gear with a sandblasted one that although it will work for a year or more if we are putting off the inevitable (changing the timing chain) and potentially causing more damage to the car ?
From what I've read and researched Paul, the chains do slacken a little dependant on abuse per car. Reading into why the TCT's fail, being around the operation of the wormgear is the crucial element in the piston working effeciently and smoothly. Sandblasting is the best option unless you fork out a Grand for a new chain, typically a strengthened one at TDi.
Its just something us S owners have to keep an eye , or ear on I guess throughout ownership.
Old 10-10-2011, 08:19 PM

Huge Thank You to Matt aka Loftust,

Recieved a refurbed TCT on Saturday. Fitted yesterday and works perfectly... Posting my old one back to Matt today.

No more embarassing ticking!

Cheers Matt, great work!
Old 10-11-2011, 01:17 AM

Received 133 Likes on 114 Posts

Good to hear another one sorted. I'll be PM'ing you this weekend Matt with a final decision on the swapsie with you... will be taking her for a spirited blast, alot of stop start driving. Meeting up with another S owner and listening to the engine noise difference, in case its my ears decieving me!
Old 10-11-2011, 03:32 AM

The TCT noise is pretty distinct.. It may not be as loud in its early stages but when its gone, You WILL hear it, as will everyone around you! Its higher pitched than a diesel!
Old 10-11-2011, 05:31 AM

Hmmmm, this thread has got me thinking, always thought my car has been a little noisey since I bought it. What do you guys make from the attached video? As well as a noticeable ticking sound I have always noticed quite a loud humming noise come from my engine bay which I think is quite clear in my video. Any thoughts on what that is? Is it all TCT related? I do often get the rattle when starting my car from warm, but I nearly more curious about the loud humming? Any help/thoughts welcome

Excuse the state of my cam cover, it is getting painted soon

[media]http://s1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff511/PJ_McG/?action=view&current=IMG_0354.mp4[/media]
Old 10-11-2011, 05:49 AM

That does sound like a TCT in its early stages, the humming is usually the intake. I can see you have a cold air intake. An open filter will make that vacuum cleaner like humming.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:08 AM

Yeah there was an AEM kit on the car when I bought it, so the humming is normal then? Good to hear if so Car is quite "ticky" and does do the warm rattle so I assume I could do with a refurbed TCT?

Quick Reply: The TCT Refurbishment Thread