UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

TCT Advice

Old 04-02-2015, 03:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCT Advice

I'm after some help, in October last year I had the TCT changed in my MY03 by my local honda dealer, all was well, she ran smooth and quiet.
Until now that is, approximately 4000 miles late the rattle is back. According to honda now the chain has stretched and needs replacing as the TCT can't compensate for the slack, and they're quoting £1540 to fix it!
Has anyone else had this issue or found a way to fix it without spend an absurd amount of money,?
Old 04-02-2015, 04:16 AM

Received 134 Likes on 113 Posts

Ballade Sports (in the US) do an upgraded TCT. Or buy the parts from the US and DIY the job. Or buy the parts from the US and get a garage to do it.

Those in increasing price order, so try the 1st one 1st!
Old 04-02-2015, 04:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ruin
I'm after some help, in October last year I had the TCT changed in my MY03 by my local honda dealer, all was well, she ran smooth and quiet.
Until now that is, approximately 4000 miles late the rattle is back. According to honda now the chain has stretched and needs replacing as the TCT can't compensate for the slack, and they're quoting £1540 to fix it!
Has anyone else had this issue or found a way to fix it without spend an absurd amount of money,?

How do they know its stretched? have they taken it off?

Im no mechanic but personally I think they are trying to have you off as they dont want to pay to replace it.

Ive heard many reports of these timing chain tensioners going faulty in as little as a 1000 miles, and thats why so many companies offer reinforced ones. OEM tensioners just dont seem to be upto the job. But i have never heard of the chain itself stretching because of it.

I would buy a new tensioner and fit it yourself it only takes 30 minutes and requires a basic socket set.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:36 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ruin
Until now that is, approximately 4000 miles late the rattle is back.
Exactly the same thing happened when I installed a new TCT.

Since then I have been using 'refurbished' (sandblasted and drilled) TCTs and I get 12-18 months before needing to be sandblasted again.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there, got the t-shirt etc.....

Originally I had the major work you mentioned by Honda and it lasted around 3 years before it returned.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/777...in-tct-related

I then bought a Ballade TCT and did it myself.... Simple and easy job to do.
The Ballade TCT works perfect and fixed the issue within an istant. Ticking hasn't returned since.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/110...#entry23373988

Cannot recommend the Ballade TCT highly enough!

Hope you get it fixed.
Old 04-02-2015, 04:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Could go with the gamble.
Argue that you believe it is the TCT thats gone faulty again (Lots of reports online etc...)
They can take the car in and investigate. If it is TCT, they replace and charge you nothing. If they investigate and find a stretched chain, then you have to pay.....

By the sounds of it, it is much more likely to be the TCT.
Part should also still be under the 12months warranty.

Good Luck
Old 04-02-2015, 04:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a recognised problem and your dealer is trying to take you to the cleaners. A Shaddow said, you should be covered by the 12 month part warranty but as they may argue it's wear and tear you may struggle.

They won't be able to tell if it's your timing chain until it's stripped out and measured against tolerances etc.

As a matter of interest, what oil do you use? Some are better than others for tct rattles
Old 04-02-2015, 07:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree that they may try and argue wear and tear, but less than 1 year for a component that should last the life of the vehicle is not right.
If they wont budge, can try going down the route of the consumer sales of goods act 1979.
It states that the item needs to be suitable for use and fit for purpose up to 6 years. If they say its fit for use, just argue that a rattle is not part of the designed use. Hence it has "failed"

To be honest, I would be surprised if you cant get it replaced under honda 12month warranty.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:19 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Save yourself the hassle and refurb it. I've gone from 12+ month trip to the local engineers to have it sandblasted to quickly popping IT off in my drive and rubbing it own with emery cloth until the rattle returns (still 12 months )

Oil will be a major factor on the rattle, if your using a thin oil like Mobil 1 then I would expect it to last a couple of months. Thicker oil like castrol edge will see a longer life but it will still return.

I threw away 2 perfectly reusable tct's before I knew about 'the fix'
Old 04-02-2015, 07:35 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Heard this one many times before, Honda are offering you the wonderful smell of BULLSHIT! As above I'd get them to change it again, go over to Castrol edge and start enjoying your driving your S200 again. If they refuse to change it get it sand blasted. If your car has Honda FSH ask what oil they have used in the past, they won't know but you will know it's critical to the TCT not getting noisy.

Quick Reply: TCT Advice