UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

taking Plymstock Rowes Honda to court

Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by afs98mrj
I'm in plymstock (plymouth)
im in plymouth too. which dealer are you talking about?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:54 AM

You could take all of your info to your local Citizens Advice Bureau and ask them to write a letter on your behalf, their 'headed note paper' and official tone sometimes have the desired effect
Old 06-21-2011, 02:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tallville
You could take all of your info to your local Citizens Advice Bureau and ask them to write a letter on your behalf, their 'headed note paper' and official tone sometimes have the desired effect
Before you can complain to any ombudsman you have to show that you have complained in writing and given the company in question 10 working days to respond. If you then don't recieve a satisfactory response then you can then pass it on. In this case you may be able to pass it on straight away as it sounds like you may have already written to them as they have provided you with a written response.

I would also include the TSB that is from North America and point out that the car is identical and made in the same factory. I'm sure that we can all provide evidence of the fact that most people's roof has worn in the driver's shoulder area at least, which is definitely a common problem that should have been addressed as both my MY04 and MY00 show wear at the exact same point. My MY00 has had a replacement roof as well and that is even showing wear again...something I intend to sort out over the summer before it's too late!
Old 06-21-2011, 04:27 AM

Thanks Lower for posting up the bulletin.

It is American and therefore not for the UK market and therefore not usable in any action - Honda USA will not pay the bill.
Also, if you look at the vehicles affected it quite clearly states that damage at the front lock assy is 2009 model year.
Your car is 2007 therefore unfortunately it is "wear and tear" and a cost to yourself unless Honda UK wish to make a non-prejudice type contribution.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:51 PM

Hiya Mark,

I have an almost identical story to yours - I have a 56 plate S on which I had the roof replaced in September '09 a month or so before the end of the 3 year warranty. October last year I fired the roof down, then when I put it back up when I parked up, there it was, a sort of stretch-come-tear behind the passenger side roof catch. The catch was definitely correctly relatched into position as I'm fastidious about it and it was latched when I put the roof back up.

I've chased Honda about it via the dealers as an out of warranty claim but got fobbed off, now I'm speaking with Honda Customer Services directly, which reminds me I need to chase it up. It's got worse recently and developed into a right angle tear with a small flap of material.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:04 PM

Hi Mark,
Seems very similar to my 'late' S2000.

Here's my last post on the hood troubles - some photos and costs.

Link

In my personal experience HUK were fairly pointless.

I defended the US hood bulletin being fobbed off by pointing that S2000's as far as I was aware were only ever built in one factory, so unless the hood material and catches were different spec for different markets then I couldn't see why it's not relevant.

My car was well out of warranty when hood 2 failed but I persisted on the sales of goods act route, which in my case was against the dealership - that was the bit where HUK's involvement became quite pointless as they are not the target. If the dealer doesn't play ball then start a small claims court case against them or state the date that they have until you will lodge the paperwork.

Good luck!

Just don't do what I did - Get a new hood and six weeks later launch the car upside down into a field!

Brian
Old 06-21-2011, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Happened to mine. It is a fault that Honda send the dealer the canvas only. To fit the roof the dealer needs a rivet kit. Which is an extra. You cannot attach the canvas to the frame without this.

The roof refracts because there are two elastic straps on the roof. Over time these straps stretch, and then the roof doesn't go down properly.

My roof was replaced beginning of Sept 2010. The roof wouldn't go back fully then Two weeks after fitting the catches punched through the roof as you describe. No user error.

The dealer was very good and had the car to investigate. Someone on here even lent them a car to compare the movement. They decided it was the straps and took it up with Honda who weren't interested. The view was that the straps were the issue and that they went outside of warranty causing the roof damage. The fact they must have been knackered in warranty wasn't a goer. They don't accept the straps (which cost a few pounds) should be supplied as a matter of course, which is ridiculous.

In the end it was sorted but only because the dealer was prepared to argue it (and shared the pain with free labour). Think I still have some photos. I did have a video somewhere that showed the roof folds wrongly. PM me if you want me to try to find it?!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

P.s. Brian - it's obviously a trait with s2k owners prepared to fight their corner on the roof issue. I did exactly the same, luckily I still had the hardtop on though!

Perhaps it's something Honda engineer into the cars as part if the "goodwill claim". I emailed Garage R to let them know when I did mine as the Hardtop protected the softtop which had never even got wet other than from a hose when the dealer did a leak test. Must have been a bargain for someone!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Court Jester
P.s. Brian - it's obviously a trait with s2k owners prepared to fight their corner on the roof issue. I did exactly the same, luckily I still had the hardtop on though!

Perhaps it's something Honda engineer into the cars as part if the "goodwill claim". I emailed Garage R to let them know when I did mine as the Hardtop protected the softtop which had never even got wet other than from a hose when the dealer did a leak test. Must have been a bargain for someone!!!
That's the one, it's an S2k owner thing CJ.

My bill was essentially for the fixings, rivets etc,... just as you say. Useful though as by making that payment the work then carries warranty. If HUK replaced the whole lot for free, then I'd have no recourse if the hood failed the following day, so to me it's a good thing to pay. (I stand to be corrected, but that's my understanding).

Cheers,

Brian
Old 11-29-2011, 05:27 AM

Just to update this;

i issued proceedings against Plymstock Rowes Honda using the small claims court in Plymouth. I claimed for the entire cost of a new soft-top which i had fitted by a local car upholsterer, solicitors letter/time (approx £100) court costs (£80) & £100 compensation. Within a week a cheque had arrived for the full amount of just over £1200 from the manager of Rowes Honda.

They ellected not to go to court & settled without a word, not even a letter to accompany the cheque.

I view this 'last minute settlement' approach as a cynical attempt by Rowes Honda to avoid their responsibilities as they were quite clearly hoping i wouldn't be willing to take them to court.

Before this charade i would've been looking to trade in the S for a CTR or maybe a plain civic. Not only will I not buy another honda (or use honda for servicings) but i'll let as many people as possible know of honda's appalling behaviour toward customers. I know of at least 2 people I've told this tale too, that have firmly crossed honda of their list.

If any of you are in a similar situation then I advise you to do similar & go through the small claims....it's remarkably straight forward.

Cheers, Mark.

Quick Reply: taking Plymstock Rowes Honda to court