UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

T350c Vs. S2000

Old 07-15-2004, 02:31 AM
crash

Default T350c Vs. S2000

Having owned my S2K for almost 2 years now, I feel the time has come for a change. Unfortunately, I am having a hard time deciding what to go on to.

My initial thoughts are a T350C. However, I am being put off by the 'challenges' which come with TVR ownership, namely high depreciation, running costs, reliability and lack of ABS. Also, I don't know if I can be arsed sorting out all the 'niggles' which seem to come about on a regular basis.

Has anyone considered swapping their S2K for a Trevor (Tamora/T350C?) and would care to share their thoughts?

My other options would be tuning the S2K either NA or supercharged but then I would have the same concerns e.g. reliability and running costs. Also, I think that I might as well get something that was designed to run with 350bhp from the outset.

What other cars would people consider upgrading to for ~
Old 07-15-2004, 02:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what are you requirments for the new car?
Old 07-15-2004, 02:39 AM
GSi

T350c would be my choice too. Although I'd like to keep the roof off option, I'm not sure about the looks of the Tamora - never seen one in the flesh close up though.. - so I'd like a Targa 350c

Reliability and running costs would concern me. But I am guessing that these aren't quite so bad on the more recent models... and come with the territory. If you can handle that I would guess that you would have a far quicker and rarer car. Just have to be even more careful in the wet!
Old 07-15-2004, 02:41 AM

Subaru2000 swapped his S for a Tamora. I get the impression from his posts that he loved it - but his missus didn't love it quite so much so another switch is on the cards.....

AlexC is on the verge of swapping his S for a Tamora.

If you're interested in the forced induction route, you'd do well to have a browse in S2000 Talk and in Under the Hood - a lot of our Septic cousins have gone down that route. I'm only aware of two FI S2000s in the UK - arsie's supercharged Vehicle-Formerly-Known-As-The-Macamobile and Andy Doherty's turbo-charged car. There are quite a few posts about both of them on the UK board.

Rog (arsie) is probably a better example to look at in terms of longer term reliability. Maca went down the SC route probably a couple of years ago now. From talking to Rog in Arran last year, it sounds like he hasn't had many real problems with the car - although you do have to have a bit more mechanical sympathy than driving a stock S2000.

What would I trade up to for
Old 07-15-2004, 02:42 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by crash,Jul 15 2004, 10:31 AM

Has anyone considered swapping their S2K for a Trevor (Tamora/T350C?) and would care to share their thoughts?

:
There's a thread started by AlexC no more than 10 days old - he's thinking of trading "up" to a Tamora.

I saw the T350C in red at the pistonfest - very but looked not so good in the silver.
Old 07-15-2004, 02:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=crash,Jul 15 2004, 10:31 AM] What other cars would people consider upgrading to for ~
Old 07-15-2004, 02:52 AM

Will it be your only car? If so I would think long and hard about going down the TVR route or you may end up being put off them for life. Read through some of the owner logs on Pistonheads for example, some owners spend literally thousands on keeping the things on the road, and are without the cars for weeks on end. Not all of them, but certainly the majority. One reason I didn't seriously consider one when I bought the S.

Having said all that, the previous owner of my car had traded it in for a T350! He had a few other cars though.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:00 AM
GSi

Old 07-15-2004, 03:11 AM

Hmmmm myself and the longhaired general discussed this (if we win the lottery) TVR or possibly the Noble. 35k I think would get you a decent one.

It depends what you want it for at the end of the day. We looked at the Noble at the motorshow and decided there was no way we could go camping to France for 2 weeks like we do in the S2000!! Beaut car but no room...........if thats what you need.

However the TVR................mmm thats difference I love em but not the associated costs!....

Edd
Old 07-15-2004, 03:21 AM
crash

Requirements for the new car are:

1. RWD
2. As exciting to drive and as involving as the S2K
3. More low/mid-range torque (250ft./lb.) and closer to 300Bhp
4. Would prefer a tin-top
5. Give me a whenever I look at it (which the S2K still does! )

Will be only car, having said that, I use the S2K more as a w/e toy and do low mileage (~6K pa) so doesn't concern me too much. Besides, there's the girlfriends battleship (Vectra diesel) to ferry me around if need be!

Hmmm... decisions, decisions

Quick Reply: T350c Vs. S2000