UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Swirl removal

Old 01-10-2013, 11:10 AM

Received 649 Likes on 565 Posts
Default Swirl removal

I have a Megs orbital polisher. I've tried Poorboys SSR1 but not impressed with it. It leaves dots on the paint when i polish it off which i have to buff off by hand.

Anyone got experience if something else? I'm going to try the megs stuff next.

Also using this on the BM whose painthas not been looked after, its taking fugging ages!
Old 01-10-2013, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Menzerna polishes are excellent, I get really good results with them. Detailing world has lots of opinions/advice, depending on what colour your car is they will suggest the most suitable product got you. I get my stuff from cleanyourcar.com.

German paint apparently has enamel flakes added to it to make it a lot harder. Jap paint as you know is shite and like butter however it's a lot easier to correct.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:53 AM

Megs #205 is a good finishing compound, or something like #80 for a bit more cut. Honda paint shouldn't really need anything more aggressive, #105 and #205 for the German paint. As said the menzerna polishes are good too. What pads are you using?
Old 01-10-2013, 01:43 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

Sonus I use mate, good on soft paint by all accounts, used it on my old Astra coupe turbo to good effects. Very little in the way of Swirlage.

SFX2 Light scratch and swirl remover with the SFX2 white pad...
Old 01-10-2013, 02:34 PM

Received 649 Likes on 565 Posts

Cheers fellas

In terms of pads I use a megs finishing pad with the ssr1, like this I think:

http://www.theultimatefinish.co.uk/S...FU3HtAod9WcAAQ
Old 01-10-2013, 11:38 PM

GTechniq P1 is really good, as are the Lake country pads.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:26 AM

The Megs MF system works really well on the S. Not cheap though.

I have issues with Menzerna polishes on the S - The paint is far too sticky and soft and it makes removing the product a nightmare.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:43 AM

For swirl removal, I use Megs 83 and Megs 80 - and the yellow megs pad or red megs pad - I forget which combination.

I find them really effective for swirl removal (Red pad first) and then paint cleaning (yelow pad) but I do really struggle with the big scratches that you can't feel but can certainly see!

NB The above is on the Megs G220
Old 01-11-2013, 03:21 AM

I've given up with removing swirls from the S with the Megs dual action, the paint is so soft you can spend a weekend using a dual action getting it looking amazing then after a couple of months of washing/driving etc they are back again, even using the two bucket method with grit guards and taking extreme care when washing the re-appear.

I used Poorboys black hole now, that stuff is really good, easy to apply, gives a great finish, seals the paint and hides the swirls.
Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit_287
I've given up with removing swirls from the S with the Megs dual action, the paint is so soft you can spend a weekend using a dual action getting it looking amazing then after a couple of months of washing/driving etc they are back again, even using the two bucket method with grit guards and taking extreme care when washing the re-appear.

I used Poorboys black hole now, that stuff is really good, easy to apply, gives a great finish, seals the paint and hides the swirls.
How do you dry your car? Using a good wash mitt and open hose method before drying are the key. Then dry like on this video at 1:40. You can use your forearms when drying the sides. Just don't slide the drying towel on the surface. It's good to have big double-sided microfiber towel with long pile. You can also use leaf blower or similar so prevent swirl marks . The paint on S is very soft and it's better to get it coated properly to avoid swirl marks. Foam lance and good auto foam are important too when pre-washing.

Quick Reply: Swirl removal