UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Suspension/Coilovers for 04+

Old 10-03-2008, 01:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Pie_n_Chips,Oct 3 2008, 09:14 AM
Are you sure you will see any benefit from fitting coilovers Si?
Unless your stock suspension is shot, I can't see the point, personally I would put the cash aside for the rebuild

I think Boab01 will beg to differ, I know

The issue is there is slightly less travel on the +04 cars
So going low means you MUST get a set with reservoirs on the rear or you will hit the bump stops. I have a 35mm drop and it is tight on clearances.

IIRC the Bilsteins are setup like this!
If you are going SC leave it until that is on as it will need corner weighting after that
Old 10-03-2008, 02:00 AM

How did I know you'd chime up

For me the fitting of aftermarket coilovers, you will basically fall into one of four camps, maybe more than one, for some

A - I'm a driving god and I've reaches the limits of the stock setup and I want to push the handling envelope

B - My stock setup is feeling a bit wooley and I'd like to explore the alternatives

C - I wannit slammed init

D - Baaaa

I'd say for the majority of those considering or who have fitted A.N. OTHER coilovers, the order would be C, B, D then A

Unless your in a position to exploit the benfits ie membership of group A (of which there are very few members) or your stock supension is shot, then for me its a pointless exercise in wasting cash, as you will never see the benefit over stock on the road.

Si unless there's something fundimentally wrong with your OEM setup or your planning on becoming a trackday warrior, save your cash.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie_n_Chips,Oct 3 2008, 02:00 AM
How did I know you'd chime up

For me the fitting of aftermarket coilovers, you will basically fall into one of four camps, maybe more than one, for some

A - I'm a driving god and I've reaches the limits of the stock setup and I want to push the handling envelope

B - My stock setup is feeling a bit wooley and I'd like to explore the alternatives

C - I wannit slammed init

D - Baaaa

I'd say for the majority of those considering or who have fitted A.N. OTHER coilovers, the order would be C, B, D then A

Unless your in a position to exploit the benfits ie membership of group A (of which there are very few members) or your stock supension is shot, then for me its a pointless exercise in wasting cash, as you will never see the benefit over stock on the road.

Si unless there's something fundimentally wrong with your OEM setup or your planning on becoming a trackday warrior, save your cash.
Was this post based on experience of changing coilovers, or just assumption based? I havent changed mine yet, but I tend to agree with others who have posted, that changing to a very nice set of suspension on any car can make a huge difference. I havent on the S but have on my Evo and Sti, it was worlds apart from stock feel after the change, and neither car had worn suspension, infact the evo was brand new

Saving for my Ohlins DFV's
Old 10-03-2008, 02:55 AM

Assumption of course, you know nothing posted on the internet is ever based on fact.

What I was mearly attempting to say was joe average wouldn't be able to exploit the difference between a coilover S and a stock one, so their money would be better spent elsewhere.
Old 10-03-2008, 02:57 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Some of these damper kits are cheaper than the stock stuff aren't they? does that make them a more practical option?
Old 10-03-2008, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Pie_n_Chips,Oct 3 2008, 02:55 AM
Assumption of course, you know nothing posted on the internet is ever based on fact.

What I was mearly attempting to say was joe average wouldn't be able to exploit the difference between a coilover S and a stock one, so their money would be better spent elsewhere.
Yes that is the problem with forums, too much assumption and very few have tried and tested what they comment on, therefore are able to give reliable advice. Same response everytime I mention HKS Hypermax suspension on any UK forum, half the members would say they are too harsh for road use, but how many have ever been in a car with them on? If Ohlins were too expensive, my next susgestion would be the new HKS Hyper Max III and that is from previous experience of the Hypermax II coilovers

As I mentioned I have not changed suspension on the S, but from my previous experience they have made a marked improvement on the cars that I have owned. I tend to believe from other posts that if you have
Old 10-03-2008, 04:38 AM

Pie you
I'm not going ask which section you put me in
Or have you missed one
Old 10-03-2008, 05:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pie_n_Chips,Oct 3 2008, 11:55 AM
I'll bite

Just as an example, a decent set up like the Nitrons means that the back end of the car doesn't skip (poor damping) on bumpy B roads. I miss my Nitrons
Old 10-03-2008, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Oct 3 2008, 02:05 PM
I'll bite

Just as an example, a decent set up like the Nitrons means that the back end of the car doesn't skip (poor damping) on bumpy B roads. I miss my Nitrons
Are you keeping it now ????
Old 10-03-2008, 05:24 AM

[QUOTE=Paper Lawyer,Oct 3 2008, 01:05 PM] I'll bite

Just as an example, a decent set up like the Nitrons means that the back end of the car doesn't skip (poor damping) on bumpy B roads.

Quick Reply: Suspension/Coilovers for 04+