UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Surface rust?

Old 01-22-2012, 09:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Surface rust?

Hi,

I've taken a punt on a 1 owner, facelift model (53 plate), with 50,000 miles for a good price. Everything on the car is in very good condition, apart from some rust in the engine bay. Is this something I should worry about? I'd appreciate it if other owners of older cars could comment if they have this issue. This pic is taken from the offside just where the air box is. The rest of the engine bay seems okay.

Thanks

Name:  IMG_20120122_165003.jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  199.2 KB
Old 01-22-2012, 09:17 AM

I've got a bit of this in more or less the same place (MY 52) so interested in responses from others - for now I've brushed it back, Ku-rusted and Hammerited it - don't know if it's a real problem or not though?
Old 01-22-2012, 09:41 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Surface corrosion. Just wire brush it off and paint.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:51 AM

Received 79 Likes on 66 Posts

This first began to appear to a much lesser extent on my car from when it was about 6 years old, its 10 now. Must be the water getting trapped in those horrible spot welded seams, which doubt ever got painted properly deep in the seams. But at first sign uner the bonnet i would sprat with Waxoyl every now and then, it hasen't progressed.

But Would guess that under the car and where you cant see there are quite a few more patchs, I know my car has some big surface rust areas on parts of the floor pan just inside of the cill seams. But it does nott seem to get any worse. Although I intend to do a bit of work on it this summer. I am sure the car will die before any of it becomes a major problem. But then again my car has not been a garage queen and has been used and driven in all weathers at all times of year. And is now 10 years old.

Worse problem i have had is a leaky battery, fantastic paint stripper !!!!!
Old 01-22-2012, 10:23 AM
UK Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ston
Everything on the car is in very good condition, apart from some rust in the engine bay. Is this something I should worry about?
Rust like that is not uncommon.

If you ever remove the front and rear bumpers there are similar seams where rust often appears.

Chris.
Old 01-22-2012, 10:48 AM

Thanks for the responses, I'll give it a good wire brush and put something on it.

Cheers
Old 04-07-2015, 06:28 AM

Is surface corrosion to the suspension arms in the same department, or is this a sure-fire sign of needing new arms? The last MOT advisory had surface corrosion noted on all arms.

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Surface corrosion on all suspension arms is incredibly common and completely normal.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:50 AM

Received 654 Likes on 569 Posts

weird for MOT to mention that re suspension arms isnt it?

that looks minor, i would clean it back, paint it and waxoyl over.. or just use rust cure type stuff and waxoyl underseal

the back end of mine under the bumper was terrible. i replaced the bumper bar with a powdercoated one, cleaned the entire back end down and painted it with rust treatment then undersealed. i would check that.

here's what mine looked like

and my car is pretty tidy, albeit 2001

Old 04-07-2015, 08:19 AM

My 2005 with only 46,000 miles on it has just gone through its first mot under my ownership just last week.

The car went straight through with no problems but I was advised there is considerable surface rust underneath although
it could be years ahead before it becomes a real problem that could cause any sort of mot fail.
I was told this is common with the S2000 and nearly all of them have the same issue.

This took me by suprise for a car of this age and milage and got me a little concerned.
Fortunately for me theres a place less than a mile away from where I live (westgate classics as seen on tv in car SOS TV) who said they can remove all the surface rust and underseal for £250-£300 so I'm booked in for this week for this very job.

Quick Reply: Surface rust?