UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supra guys comments..

Old 08-01-2005, 06:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with a few parts of your post's

I don't think holding a record in 1995 on the Nurburgring or having a faster lap time than a S2000 at Tsukuba indicates a good/better handling car though. Are you going to quote lateral G's at me? I would argue those good lap times are due to the fact the car can be easily modified to produce 400hp (your numbers)

As you know what times S2000 & Supra's get around various tracks could you post these and/or provide a link.

Regarding Mikes S2000 and re-sale, I'm unsure of your point! Mikes car had something like 90k on the clock which was by his admmision fecked, 5 yrs old and he still got 11k trade in, I think thats quite good.

Drag racing Supra's doing 1/4 in 8sec's is impressive. What does a STOCK n/a and turbo Supra pull on the 1/4?
Old 08-01-2005, 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbeh,Aug 1 2005, 01:38 PM
... I won't include everything Rob wrote, you can read it yourself. ...

Edited by UK_S2000.
with Rob's comments entirely.

We had a chat today over lunch about the whole topic and found some of the comments were very amusing. Still it helped the Stella go down.

From what I can see it's the same old, same old. You'll always get people claiming their car is the best and anything else is gay, lame, chavvy, etc.

2 completely different car, both very capable in their own right, but completely different animals. The Supra is an awesome bit of kit, especially in TT form (stock or BPU), and with plenty of $$$$'s and time you can create something that would embarrass many an expensive supercar. And, on the other hand the S2000 is probably the best N/A car out there for the money by a country mile.

It's such a shame that people who claim to be "enthusiasts" have to belittle other cars in such a manor. I guess that what forums are all about though...
Old 08-01-2005, 06:27 AM

Stupid work internet causing me to double post!!!

Anyway.. lap times.. well the reason why I pointed those tracks out is this.. one is a SMALL twisty cirtuit, the other a LONG ass fast circuit which is recognised throughout the world as being the ultimate test of a cars performance. Im not claiming a STOCK supra held this record no.... but think about the cars that go there, Im talking Enzos, Carrera GTs, 911's through the roof, bimmers, Skylines etc, this was a road leagal car modified to 650bhp. And it was unbeaten for years.

BTW the record Im talking about wasnt done in 95, it was sometime later 97/98 maybe and held until about a year ago.

I dont need to provide you links, do your own research like I have done. I have various best motoring DVD's with Supra and S2K's racing around together, tbh theres not a lot of difference in the times, but this is the point we are making.

THE NA is a no go, even Im going to admit the NA isnt as powerful as the S2K's lump.. thats why you can pick them up for 4k, because they're not in the same league as the TT, the 2JZ-GTE engine is superb. A stock NA you'll be looking at a high 14 to 15, an S2K which weighs less and has more BHP will be faster.
Old 08-01-2005, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Iron Head,Aug 1 2005, 02:25 PM
I agree with a few parts of your post's

I don't think holding a record in 1995 on the Nurburgring or having a faster lap time than a S2000 at Tsukuba indicates a good/better handling car though. Are you going to quote lateral G's at me? I would argue those good lap times are due to the fact the car can be easily modified to produce 400hp (your numbers)

As you know what times S2000 & Supra's get around various tracks could you post these and/or provide a link.

Regarding Mikes S2000 and re-sale, I'm unsure of your point! Mikes car had something like 90k on the clock which was by his admmision fecked, 5 yrs old and he still got 11k trade in, I think thats quite good.

Drag racing Supra's doing 1/4 in 8sec's is impressive. What does a STOCK n/a and turbo Supra pull on the 1/4?
Lou, it all depends who's behind the wheel. An S could probably keep up with an N/A Supra ok, but, and I know for a fact, it woun't keep up with a TT like Rob's. Unless you can catch them off-guard at Santa Pod...

Rob's car was so much quicker at the Ring, the torque available gave it the upper hand, especially on the hills. 1/4mile it's close in stock form, but you're not really going that far so TBH I don't think that's worth comparing. A Vmax on a 2mile runway on the otherhand would show the differences very quickly in performance.

I had problems with selling mine and I think mileage was the key factor. It seems once it got some miles on it, people assumed it was going to suddenly go wrong. TBH, I think that's BS, but its a buy's market, and if people want low mileage S's they're the ones that will sell first. What's better though, a low mileage S that's sat around for years like AB's or one that's been used regularly and serviced, etc, and proven to be reliable? I would have thought it was better for moving parts to move that stagnate and go crusty?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:10 AM

Bobbeh - the last time I checked the records on Tskuba track, the S2000 held the fastest time.

The Supra is a good car in a striaght line...but when it comes to the tight stuff they can't compete with the S. Tinkered or stock form.

Look at the Best Motoring vids with the Touge course - I have yet to see a Supra on it. Where as the J's Racing and Amuse S2000s hold the time records.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bobbeh,Aug 1 2005, 02:27 PM
I dont need to provide you links, do your own research like I have done. I have various best motoring DVD's with Supra and S2K's racing around together, tbh theres not a lot of difference in the times, but this is the point we are making.
I agree that is the point were making.

If a 400+hp Turbo Supra is doing only slightly faster lap times than a say a 280hp S2000 then I argue that an S2000 is a considerably better handling car. Because the S2000 has to be making ground somewhere to almost overcome the huge HP difference.

Do you see my logic?
Old 08-01-2005, 07:18 AM

Im talking stock car times at Tskuba, not modded cars times. They've hardly used Supras in Best Motoring videos since the mid 90s anyway.

You dont need to tell me a modded S2K is quick around the twisties So is a Corolla with a 1.6 4 banger.

Like with most cars, it all depends on the driver who's behind the wheel, and I cant bet that 90% of people on this forum and on the Supra forum have never taken their car onto a track or even pushed it around corners to the limits.

Tell me, where do you get this impression that the Supra is no good around corners?

Iron Head - Im talking about a STOCK JDM supra in the video that was made in 1995, not a 400bhp BPU one. Im not a fool, and will not argue about a smaller car with less weight being more agile at low speed/real twisties, just look at the Caterams or S3 Radicals of this world.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by UK_S2000,Aug 1 2005, 02:39 PM
Lou, it all depends who's behind the wheel. An S could probably keep up with an N/A Supra ok, but, and I know for a fact, it woun't keep up with a TT like Rob's. Unless you can catch them off-guard at Santa Pod...

Rob's car was so much quicker at the Ring, the torque available gave it the upper hand, especially on the hills. 1/4mile it's close in stock form, but you're not really going that far so TBH I don't think that's worth comparing. A Vmax on a 2mile runway on the otherhand would show the differences very quickly in performance.
1/4 figures or lap times. Why so shy?

N/A Supra your mate said is slower than a S2000 1/4 mile

TT Supra your mate said is slightly faster on a track, I can believe that on a track like the Nurburgring.

All the Supra's I have seen going round a track wallow all over the place and look podgy and slow however some when onto the straight go rather quick.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by Iron Head,Aug 1 2005, 03:24 PM
1/4 figures or lap times. Why so shy?

N/A Supra your mate said is slower than a S2000 1/4 mile

TT Supra your mate said is slightly faster on a track, I can believe that on a track like the Nurburgring.

All the Supra's I have seen going round a track wallow all over the place and look podgy and slow however some when onto the straight go rather quick.
Lou, both at Santa Pod and at the Ring, Rob's dawg has beaten me fair and square.

And it does go round corners very well.
Old 08-01-2005, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by UK_S2000,Aug 1 2005, 03:41 PM
Lou, both at Santa Pod and at the Ring, Rob's dawg has beaten me fair and square.

And it does go round corners very well.
I believe you, on the 1st part. I was just curious of times, so we could all see by roughly how much. Not whether he was telling the truth.

Quick Reply: Supra guys comments..