UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supermarket S2k's

Old 04-22-2003, 08:13 AM
tnt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I seem to remember a thread awhile ago saying that imported cars do not have locking nuts supplied as standard.
Old 04-22-2003, 02:25 PM

Originally posted by lou03
Further to the last, if anyone knows anything in particular that I should find or not find, could they please let me know before Friday, headlamp wash, underseal, cruise control ( dont know about that one)
Glad you're starting to see the wood for the trees

Headlight washers - damn ugly things, definately on U.K. sourced cars, U.K. spec cars sourced from Netherlands. Strangely I have various picture/video clips of cars from various parts of the E.U. without them. I wouldn't miss these at all.

Cruise control is on U.S.A. cars, AFAIK LHD E.U. cars and maybe elsewhere. We have rear fog light or headlight washers button in that place IIRC (fog light on black strip between exhaust pipes )

Car should have single CD player in dash and radio is a normal IIRC FM/MW/LW U.K. one.

If you've confirmed the warranty with Honda U.K. and are ok with not being named as first keeper on the V5 then the only thing I can think of is the underseal - i.e. has it or hasn't it, or maybe just a little? "Euro spec" suggests a little or none...or Motorpoint don't know!!! If not, how important is it / can it be added by a dealer?

If its any help I've found the service manager at Lookers Honda Lenton Nottingham (Les Alderson) to be a helpful guy. 0115 986 3222 I'm sure he wouldn't mind giving you 5 minutes worth of his opinion on the subject. There's another Lookers Honda dealer not far from Motorpoint but I don't know anyone there.

All the best.

Dave
Old 04-22-2003, 11:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Add the alarm pronto or no-one will insure, (this is why UK cars now have it, all UK cars came without in 99 when I got mine, until a few months later the ABI said it must come as standard or we'll not give it a insurance group (as if 20 isn't high enough).)

Locking nuts, must have full leather seats. Honda AA assistance can be bought or you could get AA cover for the 3 years probably cost a few hundred for the all singing dancing Honda UK supply.

So not a bad deal if it comes like most of the Euro sourced cars, I'm surprised that they can get it in the UK for less than
Old 04-23-2003, 12:07 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by UK Paul
Add the alarm pronto or no-one will insure
Not true! a Euro import to UK spec will cave a CAT2 (imobiliser). No insurance company that I have spoken to have insited that I install an alarm.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:24 AM

Have you checked the VIN number? The last 5 digits will be the serial number, but the remainder gives information about the spec and destination region. Having the same VIN as a UK car will not be conclusive, but if diferent you can be sure that it is not UK/Euroo spec.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:50 AM

Originally posted by StevenM

Not true! a Euro import to UK spec will cave a CAT2 (imobiliser). No insurance company that I have spoken to have insited that I install an alarm.
hmm, actually that does ring a bell, recently they might have changed tack???

Okay then lets just say in 2000 they wouldn't until Honda UK fitted a CAT 1 Alarm / immobiliser, (as I meant mine was insured but got the aftermarket CAT 1 to reduce premiums, it was a few months later that Honda UK got the nudge from the ABI), the same time as the price went up
Old 04-25-2003, 02:58 PM

I have finally got to the bottom of this.
I have spoken at length to Les, who is the Service manager at Honda Nottingham. Les is very clued up on most things Honda, especially warranties and is a thoroughly nice bloke.
After several horror stories with regard to imports, he made a call to a personal friend of his in the warranty section of HUK. The upshot is, if the chassis number does not show up on their computer, then the car is neither UK or EURO sourced.
I went to Motorpoint yesterday and viewed a black/black S2K that is in the compound awaiting its new owner on 29 April. The car had all of the spec outlined by members, including, headlight wash, underseal and full leather, in fact it looked the 'muts nuts', even with all of the wrapping still on. While viewing the engine with the salesman I noted down the chassis number and we went back to the office to make a few calls.
His first call was to HUK where he spoke with the lady on the exchange, she again confirmed that cars from Malta were covered for the reduced warranty of 60,000 miles. His next call was to his own Honda contact who tapped in the chassis number, NO TRACE was the reply, meaning, not UK/EURO. with this he left me and returned a short time later, he said he had called the supplier direct (didn't say where) and that he had also said one years dealer warranty only. I tried getting out of him my own chassis number but he fobbed me off saying they didn't come in until 60 days before the vehicle arrives. With this knowledge I cancelled my order and he is arranging for the return of my deposit. He did however attempt to sell me a Motorpoint warranty for
Old 04-25-2003, 03:22 PM

Glad you got to the bottom of it and that Les was able to help.
Looks like a few owners may get stung by the lack of Honda 3 year warranty thing when buying from Motorpoint

Don't forget.........tell 'em not to wash it.
Old 04-25-2003, 10:19 PM

Very interesting this!

Well done, this or parts of this should be added to FAQ maybe?
Old 04-25-2003, 10:53 PM

Hi Paul,
Thanks, the big shame is that there are several people, recent buyers and future buyers that are not going to have adequate cover and probably wont know this until the the damage is done. (pardon the pun)
With regard to FAQ, great, but I dont know the mechanics of putting it together. Any suggestions ???

Cheers LOU03

Quick Reply: Supermarket S2k's