UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supermarket S2k's

Old 04-20-2003, 11:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Be sure to post back with how you got along Lou

Moor Deybe - is it 100% confirmed that the Cypriot S2000's have no underseal?
Old 04-21-2003, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have contacted Motorpoint and been informed that the cars are sourced from Malta. Next step is to contact Honda UK with questions on warranty etc!( not open again until Tuesday, after bank holiday)
In the meantime, anyone got any info, either adverse or not on Maltese cars???

Cheers Lou
Old 04-21-2003, 07:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by lou03
[B]Have contacted Motorpoint and been informed that the cars are sourced from Malta. Next step is to contact Honda UK with questions on warranty etc!( not open again until Tuesday, after bank holiday)
In the meantime, anyone got any info, either adverse or not on Maltese cars???

Cheers
Old 04-21-2003, 11:28 AM

Originally posted by ianl
...Moor Deybe - is it 100% confirmed that the Cypriot S2000's have no underseal?
All I know is the story about the 3 that Motorpoint had from Cyprus and it became a problem for them as they were either rightly or wrongly perceived by people as not as good. Would the salemen at Motorpoint know either way though?, I doubt it. They could well have got caught up in the same old wives tale if not true

I can well believe that they don't have underseal though, because even though they're all built at the same factory, manufacturing differences occur for cars destined for different markets. e.g. headlight washers for the U.K.
Old 04-21-2003, 01:06 PM

Originally posted by lou03
Have contacted Motorpoint and been informed that the cars are sourced from Malta...
DOH guess they haven't learnt their lesson after all. Should have guessed with the lower price really as E.U. sourced cars are about
Old 04-21-2003, 02:06 PM

Hello there.

my 2p

You will not be the first owner on the log book. Still a good price for a 2nd hand car though.

Do not beleive a word the salesman tell you. Check and double check all the spec. If I was you I would take a S2000 brochure up there and go through all the spec beforehand. Also give Honda a ring to see if there is any warranty issue from a car outside the EU. They are not covered by EU law therefore don't have to honour the warranty.

My last car I bought pre S2000 was a purchase from one of these supermarket type things. It was an import from Cyprus. I didn't check it out and bought over the phone. Luckily Hyundai honoured the 3 yr warranty. It was also missing a few UK spec things (cruise control and sunroof). All in all I saved 4K though (lost approx 1.5K on resale)

You can probably purchase warraty on the cheap. So you pays your money you take the chance. Save 4.5K on UK list vs warranty problems, resale problems (even against EU imports).

Hope this is useful advice. Good luck in what you do
Old 04-21-2003, 11:22 PM

***WARNING***WARNING*** Danger Will Robinson!

Sorry about that, bit over dramatic.

If your name is not the first on the V5 logbook, if you write the vehicle off the insurance company may not be required to do new for old. DL managed to squeeze out of it when I wrote off a previous car and ended up offering an amount somewhat less than I had just paid.

Big Lesson to be learned. Check with your insurance first!

Del.
Old 04-22-2003, 12:20 AM

I bought my Audi S3 from Motorpoint in Derby, good saving, but they are muppets:

1. Check that they give you the correct amount of keys
2. Check that you have all the correct service books etc, and they are in english and fully stamped, especially the PDI stamp.
3. Don't let them wash it.
4. Their customer service is crap if anything goes wrong, so be prepared.

Finally, you will be the second owner of the car, this did not bother me, but it does bother some people.

Cheers
Old 04-22-2003, 07:41 AM

Hi,
Having spent most of the day on the phone I have had the following info confirmed :

The car comes with a three year Honda warranty, with no changes apart from, no AA cover and no in car entertainment cover. This is after registering at local dealer as Dave stated.

The vehicle is sourced from Malta but arrives with full UK conformity and is of Euro spec !!

I have arranged to visit motorpoint on Friday to view a vehicle from the same source. Armed with my UK brochure and a list of all of the points brought up by your good selves, I should come away with peace of mind.( heres hoping anyway ) They have confirmed that the log book will have Motorpoint as first owners but I don't have to much of a problem with that.

Thanks to all of the members who have taken the time to put me straight on several topics and I will talk again on Friday.

Cheers Lou.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:45 AM

Further to the last, if anyone knows anything in particular that I should find or not find, could they please let me know before Friday, headlamp wash, underseal, cruise control ( dont know about that one)

Quick Reply: Supermarket S2k's