UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Supercharging - a few more questions...

Old 08-25-2009, 06:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Supercharging - a few more questions...

OK so it was very informative to attend one of the Mase tuning days and get to see what Mikey's S goes like but I now have a couple more questions

(i) I keep hearing about the risk of detonation when mapping for higher RON fuels and then using 95 RON in anger (i.e. not just cruising off of VTEC)
I've looked at Wikipedia so now understand detonation (knocking) and how it can be hideously destructive but how likely is it to happen? If I was to map a supercharged S on 97/98 RON and then go for a 'spirited' run on 95 fuel would I risk detonation? I'm assuming a fairly aggressive map by Mase but a max of 10psi for the supercharger so no change of head gasket etc... Is it too risky? Should I do a Mikey and settle on 95 RON fuel mapping?

(ii) Can you still buy a Comptech supercharger kit? I'd be looking for the standard off the shelf kit at a guess, nothing too extreme. I can't seem to find the Comptech website via Google but I do get lots of offers of US companies selling them. I'm conscious the GB was quite some time ago

(iii) What's the best way for me to go about assembling an SS? I'm looking at this as a project in which I wouldn't touch a spanner (believe me it is for the best) but if it is cheaper for me to hunt down parts then I'd happily work on the procurement stage. Actually assembly and testing / mapping I'd leave to others. I'm aware that this would cost more than DIY but I'd rather have a car I knew was rock solid. Is the cheapest option just to ship a donor car to Mase? As long as you factor in a roll on/roll off crate then my hunch is the transport wouldn't be hideously expensive

(iv) Do you reckon it's too soon after the war to have those funky SS logos on the side of such a car?

As you can probably tell I'm getting more and more tempted to swap the Cobra for an SS. I do miss the additional fuel range and practicality but I'm worried I'd miss the sound, side exit exhausts and flame spitting at night on the overrun. Plus the Cobra is a gorgeous car to look at. So's the S but I *really* like the looks of the Cobra... Anyone else gone from a Cobra to an S or SS?
Old 08-25-2009, 09:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mase always maps with a safety margin but it is still possible to get "det" from going too lean if you run a 98 map on 95 and push it. Mine is 10 psi on 95 RON and still gives ~360 BHP

Comptech kits are still available from the same guys trading as a different name C&T engineering IIRC (check on the FI forum)

PM SiCr he is contemplating selling his Comptech S. OR buy a stock Comptech kit and leave it at that so no mapping needed. Simplish DIY install if you have time and a garage.

SS logo

Mine spits flames
Old 08-25-2009, 09:42 AM

there are many options with the mapping, like i said to mikey, he could have kept the old map which i am sure he has and swap it over if he put 95 ron in, but he had his reasons for not doing that

switching maps on the aem is very simple and can be done various way, one by plugging a laptop in and sending new calibration which takes 10 secs or the other way is that you can use the nitrous map and use a switch u can just switch over and it will tell the aem to use the nitrous map

but obviously if u are mapped on 98 and you put 95 in , its no wise to go and beat on the car but you have no problem still driving the car, i drove 100 miles on mine with 95 ron with no problem.

as for shipping the car to the usa.... take it from someone who has done it, not wise, not very cheap to do now....

as for running 10psi, you can run more, some of the sc guys will come along and tell you more, some are even up to 15psi. i would not change the gasket or anything like that, the stock engines are strong as hell, they are forged and aslong as they have been looked after they are fine

as for the SS prob not wise to drive in germany with it
Old 08-25-2009, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As we are on the subject...I heard that SC/Turbo kits arent currently available for the drive by wire (04+) cars? Is this correct? I cant see how this would affect the running of a forced induction system on the cars to be fair though..even if there were an extra set of sensors etc I cant imagine it being a massive problem to overcome. Maybe mikey K could shed some light on this as according to your profile/avatar you have an 05..Also where abouts are you guys buying your SC kits from?

Regards
Old 08-25-2009, 11:00 AM

The drive by wire limitation comes in with the '06+ cars afaik so earlier cars are fine
Old 08-25-2009, 11:06 AM

Ok, ok that SS question may not have been entirely serious
Old 08-25-2009, 11:12 AM

As we're developing a theme of fascetious questions - are you selling yours any time soon Mike?
Old 08-25-2009, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by TheStoat,Aug 25 2009, 07:12 PM
As we're developing a theme of fascetious questions - are you selling yours any time soon Mike?
Andy,

you're being watched
Old 08-25-2009, 12:11 PM

Doh! Was just in the middle of a phone conversation otherwise I would have spotted this earlier
Old 08-25-2009, 12:15 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Stoat...

1) Depends on how agressive the map is and how adaptive the ECU is. If it's mapped to the edge of detonation (little margin for safety) then you must always run on the fuel it was mapped for. I had my last Evo mapped to the edge, on 99. The new owner put 95 in and it destroyed the engine within about 100 miles. I would map for 98 and carry a few bottles of octane booster. I can't ever remember being short of Vpower or Tesco 99!

2) I would go with a Rotrex personally.

HTH

Quick Reply: Supercharging - a few more questions...