UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Super Unleaded petrol and the S2000

Old 12-18-2001, 10:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any Super Unleaded is fine. I do get better mpg on Optimax being 98.6+ octane, so I run this whenever I can. For the early miles I ran the car on 97 octane BP Super.

The ECU is happy to adjust to either 97 or 98+ octane. It doesn't happen instantly though. I get most consistent performance when using the same fuel over a period of time. So if you can only get optimax every other fill up, you'll probably only get any price savings - the car won't stay setup to the optimax long enough to get the (small) mpg improvement.

Kagarooing seems to be related to 2 things:
- Dodgy pickup/dying engine. (Doesn't die.). I've had this quite a bit. This seems to be the map sensor. for me a little throttle blip has stopped this.
- Engine pickup/die by itself. I've only had this 3 times and I hate it. The last thing you want in stop go traffic. The only way to stop this has been to dip and reapply the clutch. I've only had this when the car is hot and been sat in traffic. It happened today going past policemen at an RTA. I'd been queuing for >30 mins to get up to the accident site. Set off to go past, and it does it. Thankfully, I had a big enough gap not to hit anything so the only damage was to my pride. I've some parts waiting to be fitted that I'm hoping will cure this. If it ever happens to you, just remember to dip the clutch quick!

-Brian.
Old 12-18-2001, 01:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson
Pete,

I wonder if all those hoods were fully retracted. I sometimes take my finger off the switch a little early!
My hood sticks up further than any other I have seen (and I compared with 29 others at Rockingham!) My dealer is asking permision to do a Waranty fix for my (there is a US TSB on this)
Old 12-18-2001, 01:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched to Optimax, not noticed any performance difference but its cheaper

As for kangooroooooingg, happend on SUL, happens on Optimax, as Brian says, when the car gets hot, even in current temps if I am sitting in traffic, crawling my way into or out of London, I occasionally get the jump factor, and the only solution is dipping that clutch or if I am rolling, then pulling away in 2nd. I don't remember it ever happening in 2nd , perhaps its just coz I give it more gas. In 1st I generally pull away with 1200 ish rpm, so its down near the line anyway.

Have tapped the Map sensor, but not yet reset the ECU, been running exclusively on Optimax for a couple of months now though
Old 12-18-2001, 01:58 PM

I've been reading Dave Walker's engine management book (he's CCC's tech guru). This has given me a theory as to why the kangrooing happens.

The ECU has a seperate 'idle' map that is used for low rpms. It's designed to maintain a constant target rpm based off a few factors. There are also correction maps for coolant and air intake temperature.

My guess is that the ECU is getting hysterisis going between normal and idle maps in certain conditions, due to rare interaction between the correction maps.

It's only a theory based off generic ECU information, but it's plausible I think. Makes me hopeful that with improvements to air intake or coolant temperatures the problem can be avoided.

-Brian.
Old 12-18-2001, 02:15 PM

I am wondering if your fuel ratings are similar to those in the U.S.A.

I have been using 87 Octane (not sure what that translates to outside of this country?). My dealer said that any octane will do...
Old 12-18-2001, 02:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by LBRunner
[B]I am wondering if your fuel ratings are similar to those in the U.S.A.

I have been using 87 Octane (not sure what that translates to outside of this country?).
Old 12-19-2001, 06:20 AM

Also, I am sure I read somewhere that the 2002 can be run on 95RON long term without any problems.
Old 12-19-2001, 06:33 AM

They've even changed the little sticker inside the fuel flap to say so I believe (We get the big 98 RON minimum one )
Old 12-19-2001, 06:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Dog Biscuit
Also, I am sure I read somewhere that the 2002 can be run on 95RON long term without any problems.
My owners manual says you have to check your engine number, which I did, to determine this. My engine, following this guide should be run on 98 Ron. It does say that the engine may be run on 95 Ron providing that no pinking occurs in the engine. Happily I've never had to run on 95 Ron.

It does qualify the use of 95 Ron by saying 'If 98 Ron is not available', implying it's not really desirable!
Old 12-19-2001, 06:38 AM

Here at altitude our highest grade is US 91 ~95 for you gents... No ill affects, yet...

Quick Reply: Super Unleaded petrol and the S2000