UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sump plug went for a walk

Old 01-17-2015, 04:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Despite the naysayer it depends on how you were driving it. Low revs and pootling will mean you have a decent chance of saving it. If you were giving it some I'd be telling you you have had it.
I have to agree completely with Ultra. As I have said before crank bearings are not separated by oil pressure created by the pump. The pump is primarily there to get the oil to the bearings and replace the losses. If a film of oil exists on the bearing surfaces its the relative motion that causes them to separate. When you lose oil pressure it takes a while for the centrifugal effects to fling out the oil including including emptying the crank drillings. Run an engine gently and you can go for miles without damaging anything. I've done it twice ! The first was just to see if the theory lived up to practice. The second 4 years later because I just wanted to get home. With the experience of the first I knew I could. The only repair in both cases was brazing some new drive-lugs on the pumps.
Old 01-17-2015, 08:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I stopped the car, It was still emptying out oil quite a lot. Think there was a good 2-3 litres that eventually came out. Stuck the old sump plug in and just need to source another magnetic plug now.
Old 01-17-2015, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Capt A
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1421490969' post='23471585
Despite the naysayer it depends on how you were driving it. Low revs and pootling will mean you have a decent chance of saving it. If you were giving it some I'd be telling you you have had it.
I have to agree completely with Ultra. As I have said before crank bearings are not separated by oil pressure created by the pump. The pump is primarily there to get the oil to the bearings and replace the losses. If a film of oil exists on the bearing surfaces its the relative motion that causes them to separate. When you lose oil pressure it takes a while for the centrifugal effects to fling out the oil including including emptying the crank drillings. Run an engine gently and you can go for miles without damaging anything. I've done it twice ! The first was just to see if the theory lived up to practice. The second 4 years later because I just wanted to get home. With the experience of the first I knew I could. The only repair in both cases was brazing some new drive-lugs on the pumps.
Why would anyone run an engine to destruction ?? !!!
Old 01-17-2015, 09:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I saw loads at manufs being done, understandably. Was interesting to watch. Some went hours and hours
Old 01-17-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So you used a magnetic sump plug? What make was it out of interest?

Did you service the car or something recently or tighten it yourself?

Cheers
Old 01-17-2015, 12:55 PM

It was a J's racing one; i'm sourcing another one from the traders on here now. I did the oil change on the S last week, and then realised that the rear nearside calliper was seized and was rushing around to find a replacement. Guess I didnt tighten that sump plug as much as I should have
Old 01-17-2015, 01:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trunkz
It was a J's racing one; i'm sourcing another one from the traders on here now. I did the oil change on the S last week, and then realised that the rear nearside calliper was seized and was rushing around to find a replacement. Guess I didnt tighten that sump plug as much as I should have
Easy mistake to make. But only yourself to blame.
I used to be mechanic, and have never forgotten to tighten a sump bung but I have drained a sump then run the engine without putting the new oil it,
Drained the oil just before my lunch break, then after lunch I just connected up the sun tuner and started it up, after a few minutes I thought it did not quite sound right, then I remembered.
I put the fresh oil in and it sounded ok so finished off the service and never told anyone. Don't know if it ever had any problems did not see it come back.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:04 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks, I've got a password jdm one.

Hopefully it's ok and you've got away with it fingers crossed.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:34 PM

Was meant to be fitting that damned AFR gauge so I could get you to do a map for me as well.. This weekend's becoming one giant ballache by the second.
Old 01-17-2015, 11:15 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Trunkz
When I stopped the car, It was still emptying out oil quite a lot. Think there was a good 2-3 litres that eventually came out. Stuck the old sump plug in and just need to source another magnetic plug now.
99% your engine will be fine.

Quick Reply: Sump plug went for a walk