UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

suggestion ICE

Old 05-23-2004, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suggestion ICE

The previous owner of my S2 installed huge speakers on the back. They are just under the hood. The previous owner had to cut to install the speakers. The spare wheel now doesn't fit cause the magnet is in the way. They also rattle cause the board the speakers are installed on isn't strong to hold them.

My options are:

Get a new board and scrap the speakers or put them somewhere else.

Strengthen the board and replace the speakers with low height ones (Bass speakers) so the spare wheel fits in. scrap the speakers or put them somewhere else.

How much would the rear board cost ?
Where is the best place to fix an Amplifier ?
Where is an alternative place to fix speakers around 6inch?

Thanks
Old 05-23-2004, 03:15 AM

I think it's a pretty big job to get to that rear panel in the roof well area

I would put some speakers on the rear panels behind the seats (see tech faq) and put a sub in the boot. You can fit 5.25" speakers on the rear panels but I've had to take the grills off mine so my seat doesn't rub against them.

Have a look at the list of breakers in the for sale and wanted forum to find another rear panel
Old 05-23-2004, 04:45 AM

If you find one and if they don't ship to Malta, someone here could forward it for you.
Old 05-23-2004, 07:35 AM

tR|p^ (have you got another name, my keyboard can't spell your name too well) - if you can post some pics of what you have now, I am sure you'll get 1000's of suggestions...
Old 05-23-2004, 01:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would take 'em out - follow Neils suggestion but also cut a hard bord template for the shelf. Cover it in suede or the like and it will protect the vinyl screen from scratches whilst it's down (if you have an early car that is!)
Old 05-23-2004, 01:37 PM

Do I read this right? The previous owner cut the rear shelf which the roof folds into, to fit rear speakers?

Why on earth would someone do this, you need the increased volume most when the roof is down, and in this config the roof would cover the speakers...

Can you provide a little more info,
a) What head unit are do you have? Stock or something else?
b) What front speakers do you have? Stock or something else?
c) Do you have/want a sub?

Apart from the rattles, do you have any other problems with the setup? Lack of volume or clarity at speed with the roof down? Distortion at high volume?
Old 05-23-2004, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with shortbloke totally the wrong place saw a UK Berlina 4 sale with this setup absolute !
Old 05-24-2004, 12:07 PM

My nick is tR|p^ but can be written trip. That is my old nickname I used in the old ages of IRC.

I took some scary photos of the setup. I removed one speaker already

Photos

The front speakers are also changed. The only thing I know is that they are pioneer too and from the sound they produce, they do not seem to be small.

I will be left with a pair of Pioneer 200W 3way and a Kenwood amplifier. Moreover, I know I need more sound. So what are my options?

1) I re-enforce the back panel and put them back covering them with a cover not to ruin the plastic window. Run around without a spare wheel. Fit them to the amplifier and see what happens.

2) Try to sell the speakers and cover the holes I have. Go for the behind the seat speakers. Will good speakers fit there to hold to an amplifier?

I do not think putting these speakers in the boot will be of good use as they are not bass speakers. ICE is not my piece of cake.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:14 PM

Originally posted by tR|p^
ICE is not my piece of cake.
Those holes in the roofwell panel are going to make that car very noisy with the roof up IMO

Get a new roofwell panel and put some 5.25" speakers behind the seat. If you're not really bothered about ICE dump the amp and run it all from your Head Unit.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:27 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by neil_s2k

Quick Reply: suggestion ICE