UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sub Woofer advice?

Old 10-31-2003, 10:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My audio installer questioned the ability to get bass into the cabin from the boot..

they quoted me
Old 10-31-2003, 12:03 PM

Winfij: Standard headunit only has speaker outs, nothing for sub or line level, so you can't even add an amp without line level converters. But std. headunit is a bit pants anyway, so replace it.
Basic argument: crap in -> crap out.

Zero_to60: If your not in a rush, we could meet up once I get round to fitting my sub setup, albeit at this rate it might not be until the new year.

Kenwood, do a unit which looks small (no idea really never seen it), look at the bottom of the page. http://www.mcs-direct.co.uk/acatalog/MCS_D...bwoofers_7.html
Old 11-01-2003, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My audio installer questioned the ability to get bass into the cabin from the boot..
Believe me, it isn't a big problem but it depends on how much bass you like.
Normally there is significant gain from the cabin and of course with the roof down this gain isn't present.

With the roof up I have to turn the sub down by using the head unit controls due to the extra gain offered by the sealed cabin space.

My sub has a JL8W3-D4 driver in a 10.5 litre sealed enclosure. This adds plenty of bass weight to most tracks to really notice it is there despite its modest dimensions.
There is quite a good boost from the boot itself and the boot ports into the main cabin behind the seats.
You'll need a powerful amp though. I'm running with a modest 150W continuous rms amp into 4 Ohms. The amp gain is turned down a bit so as not to overdrive the JL sub which has a continuous rating of 125W.

Of course a single 8" won't compete SPL-wise with some of the larger subs I've seen in S2000 boots but it really offers some useful extra volume without the loss of too much boot space (or the toolkit).
Old 11-03-2003, 04:36 AM

Originally posted by Bonesy
If what you're after is giving your bass more body then there's no worry. With such a sonically-compromised car you'll never get ultimate definition, and with the top-down you lose about 30% of feel, so I wouldn't bother spending
Old 11-03-2003, 08:23 AM

If you don't mind it in the foot well. Then you can get a Kenwood Woogbox ????? Woxbox ?????

Not taking the pee, I am pretty sure that was it's name when I looked at getting a sub for my S.

They are small, have their own built in amp, volume, Eq and come with a remote and are approx
Old 11-09-2003, 01:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi folks today ive fitted pioneer 10in sub plus alpine amp 220 watts sounds great took out the lining in the bottom of boot (were tools are)used it as template cut mdf to suit,covered in red felt base material,cut hole for sub.the boot now has a level from one side to the other,the tools are still in the same place and i can remove the install in 3 mins perfect looks and sounds great (well i would say that) cant put picture up as no camera.
Old 11-10-2003, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Burnie sounds good - any pics?
Old 11-10-2003, 01:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

no digi camera
maybe scooby will be there tomorrow at Donington with his camera . sounds so much better proper base not so bad with roof down either.
Old 11-10-2003, 02:04 PM

I'll try to remember my camera! Look forward to hearing it too.......
Old 11-11-2003, 12:50 PM

As promised, pictures of Burnie's (very neat) subwoofer install:

Quick Reply: Sub Woofer advice?