UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Stripping my car

Old 05-23-2013, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MB
Don't be confused. Next time you are doing 100 leptons, stick your hand out the window
I'm not sure what that shows Certainly the pickup truck tailgate one isn't something that is obvious straight away, having the tailgate up you would think it would make things much worse, based on what happens when you stick your head out the window, but its actually better up.

I'm confused as there is so much at work with air flows, air speeds, turbulence, pressure, drag to try and really understand it all, especially when just altering a car that isn't an aero car to start with.

I thought it worth mentioning the other theory I'd come across as its an interesting way of thinking about it. Like I said I don't know what is right.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by MB
Don't be confused. Next time you are doing 100 leptons, stick your hand out the window

Is the area of low pressure behind it helping you go faster?
Thats a bit different though as no pocket can form right? I'm way out of my depth here, just wanted to raise the interesting counter point I'd seen, I'm not the person to be discussing the theory of all this
Old 05-23-2013, 10:48 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

As I say, pockets don't exist, but you will get a low pressure area behind any object you stick into the airflow, including your hand. Ok it's a different area than the bumper but you get the idea.

It may help if I said I didn't cut mine to bits for fun, and that a fairly clever race guru advised me on it

The areas behind the wheels are key too.

Anyway, this thread is about weight saving and bumper cutting is naff all
Old 05-23-2013, 10:53 AM

ye certainly enough companies have vented bumpers, I've always liked the ASM one, interesting I see that that Robrob went 'full retard' and didn't see much difference:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/858...g/page__st__25

Ye, back to digging out the hole saws!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:01 AM

Maybe the guy in the other thread is saying how leaving the tailgate up reduces drag, when looking at it you probably would think the opposite applied. But then the same is true with our wind deflectors which causes less turbulent air to get sucked into the driving compartment. Maybe the air underneath the car just gets sucked down and past the rear bumper rather than entering it in the same way as the wind deflector? if you's get where I'm coming from.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:31 AM
chanas

Originally Posted by cali
Are you going to keep the stuff you're taking off?
Might start selling it off but would rather do it as a job lot. Or buy another S in need of it all!!!

Open to PMs about it or parts.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 AM
chanas

Originally Posted by GreenmanS2000
I hope you have a trailer and remember to SORN it ...
Cashed in the tax last week.

Trailer got too.

Bit tight tho so have to put space saver on the car to get it on it!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:34 AM
chanas

Originally Posted by WinFreak
Kim sells nice plastic headlight covers which you could fit instead of the headlights, also see MBs thread for this.

Get a hardtop and strip it out and stick a lexan back window in.

Then I'd just leave it open behind the seat, or put a thin alu panel in maybe

Was thinking of something very thin or Perspex or similar. Hard top would make sense really but the cost!!!
Old 05-23-2013, 11:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think to get round the problem of the bumper causing drag a large turbo should be added with cooling mods, about 15k should do it .
Old 05-23-2013, 01:01 PM

This thread may help:
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/904752-project-1050/

I see you've met Lee, the resident troll

Quick Reply: Stripping my car