UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Strange tyre wear

Old 07-15-2005, 01:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange tyre wear

Just got the car back from the service, and they told me that my front tyres are practically illegal now. Strange I thought - they look ok to me.

Closer inspection shows that the front tyres are indeed badly worn, but only on the inside edges!?!

As the car felt like it was pulling left a lot, I paid for a full alignment check at Maidenhead Honda about 12 months ago. They said it was slightly out, but nothing serious and they had corrected it. It's been better since.

Is this normal? Possibly RWD related? Or do I need another alignment check?

Cheers CB
Old 07-15-2005, 01:49 AM

I had this on my first set of bridgestones, the outside tread was perfect but inner was bald. Happened only on the fronts, the rears wore fine.

Ive now put some aftermarket alloys/tyres on with no adjustment to tracking, etc (...yet) and been thru one set of tyres with no uneven wear. The car has been with honda a few times and was not aware they have made any adjustments.

hope that helps
Old 07-15-2005, 01:50 AM

normal, most of us inc me get mor wear on inside shoulders than outside (mine were 2mm different last time changed). What is perhaps worth doing it to swap em over half way through their life. Thats what I will do on mine I think
Old 07-15-2005, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by nickrg3,Jul 15 2005, 09:50 AM
normal, most of us inc me get mor wear on inside shoulders than outside (mine were 2mm different last time changed). What is perhaps worth doing it to swap em over half way through their life. Thats what I will do on mine I think
Now that's a good idea!

Sounds like it's ok then. Thanks for putting my mind at rest and saving me shelling out another hundred quid for the alignment check!

Cheers cb
Old 07-15-2005, 02:13 AM

The cars set up so that the back wheels run flat and the front wheels have a slight camber on, this apparently helps the cornering of the car. It also results in uneven tyre ware.

On the Type R it is the opposite way round the front wheels run flat and it
Old 07-15-2005, 02:15 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

They wear to fit the alignment of the car, so reversing them will reduce adhesion.

The car runs a lot of -ve camber, as it is designed for hard cornering, which is why the inner edges wear.

If you don't drive like that, have the camber reduced to its minimum tolerance.
Old 07-15-2005, 02:23 AM

my rears r worn more on the outside than the inside and the fronts are even all the way across.???
is this an o4 thing???
Old 07-15-2005, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by dave99,Jul 15 2005, 10:13 AM
The cars set up so that the back wheels run flat and the front wheels have a slight camber on, this apparently helps the cornering of the car. It also results in uneven tyre ware.

On the Type R it is the opposite way round the front wheels run flat and it’s the back that have the camber on to aid turning.
Don't agree.

My 01' is on Honda UK preferred geo' settings and the rear wheels have a significant amount of -ve camber - much more than the fronts.

I changed all my tyres about 3 months ago and the old fronts were heavily worn on the inside edges (relative to the outside edges) and the rears, whilst more evenly worn were still more worn on the inside edges.

Having checked the state of my current tyres this trend is repeating.

Andy
Old 07-15-2005, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by soulcrew,Jul 15 2005, 10:23 AM
my rears r worn more on the outside than the inside and the fronts are even all the way across.???
is this an o4 thing???
Not wanting to cause concern but this doesn't sound right to me

Are you sure you measured the wear corectly?

Andy
Old 07-15-2005, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by S2KPDQ,Jul 15 2005, 01:07 PM
Not wanting to cause concern but this doesn't sound right to me

Are you sure you measured the wear corectly?

Andy
i felt the wear indicators across the tyres and it felt like there was more tread on the inside.

the outside is down the the wear thingy and the insides are about 3 mm off.

Quick Reply: Strange tyre wear