UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Strange oil collection

Old 12-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Strange oil collection

Hi chaps,

My car has been stood for nearly 3 weeks as I've been unable to move it due to the bad weather - i did try once but just to keep the battery healthy, and to try and move the car.

I believe some components like the blower do have oil leakage due to nature of the them but also the oil lubrication system, however today i noticed excessive build up in a couple of places.

1. The oil catch can was just over half full!, with a lot of oil emulsification (mayo) on the top but also the level was 'just' past half. I did empty the catch can about 6 week ago, it seems to collect around 3mm every month which is mainly water, but some oil. Seems very odd the level and build on the top, perhaps it had turned to ice, expanded and escaped from the top?

2. The cross-member that sits under the blower was absolutely covered in oil, as was the underneath of the blower - I believe a small amount of leakage is perfectly normal.

3. I opened up the airbox to find shit loads of oil in the bottom??! - WTF how did that end up in there , also the inside of the intract track had oil build up but seemed normal. Again a small amount is normal but this seems a bit more excessive.

The filter actually had patches of oil on but was generally dry, i do make sure that the filter is NOT over-oiled, so the filter is fine IMO.

I did think possibly a seal had gone in the blower but it was replaced a good 10-15k ago and it would probably make a noise if so.

Now i dont probably do as much maintenance/cleaning as i should - perhaps i should do this more often ?. How often do people do the above on their comptech SC?

Anyone care to guess why the above areas had a build up of oil?, especially the air filter box and catch can.

Cheers
Old 12-11-2010, 01:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

perfect excuse to post up some pictures of your setup.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:01 PM

I haven't really got any recent ones, the only ones i have were from when i first installed it Clive.

May take some tomorrow.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No it shouldn’t burn or leak any oil, the one we built is still running perfectly fine, its completely dry in the air intake hose before/after the blower. The catch tank have some moist built up that is completely normal as the air from the engine is hot and the catch tank is cold so you can some stream build up from time to time but nothing serious.

Also if you are having an oil catch tank, all the intake hose should be completely dry before the butterfly as that what the oil catch tank for to catch all the stream oil from the engine to prevent it to go back into the throttle body so you always have clean and cooler air into the cylinder.

Would suggest you do a leakdown test, sounds like your rings are gone.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:21 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Probably the seals on the supercharger if it's collected in the intake areas.

I'd take your intake hose off and run it at idle and see what's being spat out.

I'd also include a picture of your pecs / guns to aid the diagnosis...

Old 12-11-2010, 06:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get it mapped properly
Old 12-12-2010, 01:43 AM

Thanks Dixon.

Talking to MikeyK in the past IIRC, his car definitely had some leakage even in the intake tract, and underneath the blower - mine seems a little more severe. Both were daily drive cars.

May do a leakdown test, a compression test was down about a year ago and was completely fine.

Thing is oil consumption doesn't seem to have differed really from what i can remember.

I will have a good look today. But its entirely possible it could be the rings due to the age of the engine, hmmm new car time .

MB will take intake hose to the TB off and have a look - PITA as its all tight.

Adrian - shut your cakey hole .
Old 12-12-2010, 01:56 AM
MB

I don't think it will be engine related if you have oil in the SC outlet though...

The blower seals are more likely. I'd be careful with it and check your oil, you can get some nasty detonation if it's munching oil.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:04 AM

True, i think you could on the money with the blower seals. Absolutely agree on det with oil in air - Didn't notice this on the dyno though and it falls in line with a linear removal of timing as the boost increases. The collection do seem recent though .

The plot thickens.

A remapped 335d is looking more and more tempting, that's what i have my eye on the moment TBH but dont want one on tick, so have to save up just a little more.
Old 12-12-2010, 02:16 AM
MB

Sell Dixon your whole car!

Quick Reply: Strange oil collection