UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Strange issue on warm (& recently, cold) starts

Old 12-06-2008, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange issue on warm (& recently, cold) starts

Hey guys,

Yesterday morning I had a strange issue with my car, I had to go to the doctors where I only spent 30 minutes, the doctors is about 4 miles away so not really long enough for the car to get properly warm. When I came back to the car to go back home the car started fine and idled fine, no problems, when I pulled away the car felt totally gutless and just wouldn't pick up, it kangaroo'd quite violently, suddenly it picked up and was good as gold. I was concerned that I was low on fuel but I filled up and had 8 litres left (as always) - I always go for 98!

Got home and spent another 30 mins at home before heading to work, and the same problem happened, this eventually cleared and the problem hasn't shown itself since. I'm not sure what the problem could be, initial thoughts were the engine bay was warm, no cold air.

The car is an 05, 27k on the clock, and has an aftermarket K&N FIPK air filter (cone is seperated from the engine for cold air and to reduce heat soak). All fluid levels are fine. I've not had any other problems with kangarooing even after using the car a fair bit in the summer months. The car still has warranty so maybe worth running over to Honda if theres a problem.

Took the car for a longer drive this morning and it was faultless, twitchy in the damp, but enjoyable never the less
Old 12-06-2008, 06:35 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Map sensor?
Old 12-07-2008, 02:36 AM
J_D

Tap the Map sensor and check when the spark plugs were last changed.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:51 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Sounds like the map sensor / heat soak to me.

See link in my signature.
Old 12-07-2008, 02:55 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

Classic MAP sensor.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:50 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

MAP sensor.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:56 AM

I had this problem with my MY02 and it was wiring loom, ECU connector and some other sensor corrosion. Serious PIT as it took so long to diagnose, and in the end the ECU had to be replaced (all under warranty).

I was a recognised problem, but I seemed to think they had sorted it on later models.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:53 AM

Cheers guys, thought that may be the issue. Is this something Honda will rectify under warranty? It's an issue that has only happened several times so would wonder if Honda would find a fault (the CEL hasn't come on at all either).

I'll try tapping it as suggested, if this doesn't help then I'll ring Honda about getting it checked out/replaced. Think it would be better to remove the K&N before getting it checked? I really wouldn't want them voiding the warranty because of it!

Cheers
James
Old 12-19-2008, 02:12 PM

Ok, took the sensor our last weekend and cleaned it up (followed some instructions for this), and gave it a few taps but the problem still persists for warm starts. I'm not to sure what the standard MAP sensor looks like on the 05 S2000, mine has the cable tie version to wrap around the connector to hold it in place, is this standard or a sign that its been replaced before? Also checked the throttle cable.

Can drive ok for the first 30 seconds or so then I have no power, putting foot down just makes the car struggle and perhaps kangaroo a little. After another 5-10 seconds it picks up again (very suddenly). The car is totally OK when cold (mornings or coming home from work) but if I drive the car after leaving it for around 2 hours the issue occurs.

Not really sure what the problem is exactly but going to book it into Honda to get it checked/sorted as it's under then Honda warranty. Question, is it wise to change the air filter back to standard before getting it in? Don't really want to have the cover voided even though I'm pretty sure the problem is not related to the induction kit.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:54 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Temperature sender?
The is so much damping programmed into the dash display you may never notice a poor connection, and if you do it may only be intermittent enough to reduce the temperature gauge by a bar or two on the average.
How is the temperature gauge reading on the whole?
When warm, the temperature gauge may indicate (even intermitently) that the engine is cold and trigger the enrichment program at startup.
You are then trying to throttle a very over-rich engine at start.
When they get worse, they may not even start for a considerable time.
Of coarse when cold it wont matte a great deal as the enrichment is needed anyhow.

Worth a look.

Quick Reply: Strange issue on warm (& recently, cold) starts