UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Strange high pitched noise...

Old 07-18-2005, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Strange high pitched noise...

On the way to Santa Pod yesterday I noticed that there seemed to be a high pitched ringing coming from somewhere. Not all the time but on acceleration and even then only at times. It happened at times in every gear and seemed to be coming from the front right hand side of the car. I'm thinking maybe a wheel bearing but weird that it didn't make any noise when just rolling??

Anyone else experienced this? I think I saw a thread from Saxo Boy the other day with similar but can't find it now...

Its in for a service on Thursday but asking Honda to track down the noise could be expen$ive!

Any advice gratefully received
Old 07-18-2005, 03:10 AM

TTT Someone must have an idea??
Old 07-18-2005, 03:34 AM

My whistle/vibration noise, was from my diff. It was only on acceleration and clearly from the rear of the car, so I think you can rule that one out.

There's always lots of talk on here about clutch buzz. Have you tried a search?

HTH Wooly
Old 07-18-2005, 03:52 AM

Search is down at the moment. I have clutch buzz as well, always have, not worried about that. This is something else and its not a vibration but sounds kinda like brake squeal but is not under braking!
Old 07-18-2005, 04:19 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If its at the same RPM every time its something vibrating from a resonant frequency of the gearbox / engine.

I got a ringing from the metal clips when I took the lid off the airbox. See if they're all in place.

MB
Old 07-18-2005, 04:22 AM

standard pads have a metal plate that is supposed to make a squealing noise to show that the pads need replaced, see if the noise goes away if you touch the brakes slightly, probably just need replaced.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:01 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Wasn't on braking tho?

MB
Old 07-18-2005, 05:04 AM

was told when one of my pads was cracked and worn that there is a metal plate that is supposed to rub on the disk to create a noise to show it needs replaced, shoudl change pitch and then go off when the brake is applied i believe.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:35 AM

Originally Posted by Crusoe,Jul 18 2005, 02:04 PM
was told when one of my pads was cracked and worn that there is a metal plate that is supposed to rub on the disk to create a noise to show it needs replaced, shoudl change pitch and then go off when the brake is applied i believe.
That would be in line with the current symptoms and it does sound like the brakes rubbing. I will take the wheel off tonight and investigate. Sod letting Honda change the pads for me, bet they know how to charge for that!
Old 07-18-2005, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Jul 18 2005, 01:19 PM
If its at the same RPM every time its something vibrating from a resonant frequency of the gearbox / engine.

I got a ringing from the metal clips when I took the lid off the airbox. See if they're all in place.

MB
Haven't got a standard airbox - I've got a PRM and its been on there for 4/5 months.

Quick Reply: Strange high pitched noise...