UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Storing hardtop on end???

Old 05-19-2004, 11:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your garage is reasonably high, hang the hard top from the ceiling in a hammock or on a supporting frame.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AE,

Wot garage!! I just turned it into another en-suite bedroom...... What a neglectful S2K owner I am! Seriously tho, I've never put a car in a garage..... they always seem to manage just fine outside. I've even been told many times in the past that they corrode LESS if kept outside than if kept inside in a garage.

Thanks to all above for the help and ideas. I like Triple H's solution and will be fashioning a similar stand very soon.

Later,

LH
Old 05-20-2004, 12:22 AM

Cheers Del!

Just struck me as a bit deranged that you can buy a car with an accessory that you can't get in the car! I mean how else are you going to pick it up if you only have the one car!

Like Triple-H's contraption, have to email the pic to my dad for fabrication (needs something to keep him off the streets and out of trouble! ).
Old 05-20-2004, 12:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm storing mine in one of those bags that hang on the wall - it supports the hardtop all around the back window and doesn't take up any space where it hangs on the wall. Also, its water resistant and can be fixed to an outside wall if required, and padded to protect against accidental knocks. Way to go IMO.

These are about
Old 05-20-2004, 10:00 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by derekbuck
Not really, I wasn't there when Moggy managed this superhuman feat.
Old 05-20-2004, 11:19 AM

Originally posted by Triple-H
Here is a pic of the stand I built. It takes up only a tiny bit more space than the actual hardtop and might be something for you to consider.

The key as I understand it, you don't want to just set the HT on the front edge because it will contact the floor in the center of the front edge. What you really want is the load to be on the front edge in two places essentially right behind the clasps that are used to latch it into the front window frame. Apparently there is more internal structure in the HT at these two locations and if the load is carried there then the tendency for the HT to warp or bend over time is dramatically reduced.

http://gallery.s2ki.com/imagecatalog/image...geview/32914/6/
Surely it would be better to stand it with the heaviest part (the big glass window) at the bottom? Or the weight will warp it.

The OEM stand does it this way I believe.

Mine is in my living room at the moment, covered with a sheet!
Old 05-20-2004, 11:29 AM

Some DIY alternatives.
Old 05-20-2004, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Neil.H
The OEM stand does it this way I believe.
The OEM stand is as the above DIY jobs - works the same. I think if you stood it on the glass end, it might overstress the glass and crack it. Would also be more likely to make the sides spread IMHO.
Old 05-20-2004, 01:09 PM

Doh......... was I right in thinking that the Honda-supplied hardtop stand supports the hardtop horizontally as opposed to (space-savingly) vertically as per some of the DIY hardtop holdrs shown above????

LH
Old 05-20-2004, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by limiterhitter
Doh......... was I right in thinking that the Honda-supplied hardtop stand supports the hardtop horizontally as opposed to (space-savingly) vertically as per some of the DIY hardtop holdrs shown above????

LH
Wrong - unless I am using mine in completely the incorrect way

Quick Reply: Storing hardtop on end???