UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Storing hardtop on end???

Old 05-19-2004, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I obviously appreciate that using the stand is best, but I'm a bit tight for space and it would be a lot more convenient to store my hardtop resting on its end. ....... Questions:
1. Which end would be best?
2. Is on end BAD period? (I'm hoping not )

LH
Old 05-19-2004, 11:17 AM

Yikes, what a feck-up at end of THAT post!

LH
Old 05-19-2004, 11:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to store my hard top on it's end (front end), laid on top of a large cushion and wrapped in a blanket in my garage. It took a lot less space than it did on the stand.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:36 AM

Does the normal hard top stand fit in the car? Dealer told me it doesn't which seems a little odd to me.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:03 PM
Former Moderator

The box the hard top stand comes in is too big. And on the basis that you are likely to have the hard top on the car, you can't get the stand in the car.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:13 PM

Here is a pic of the stand I built. It takes up only a tiny bit more space than the actual hardtop and might be something for you to consider.

The key as I understand it, you don't want to just set the HT on the front edge because it will contact the floor in the center of the front edge. What you really want is the load to be on the front edge in two places essentially right behind the clasps that are used to latch it into the front window frame. Apparently there is more internal structure in the HT at these two locations and if the load is carried there then the tendency for the HT to warp or bend over time is dramatically reduced.

Old 05-19-2004, 12:50 PM

Nice job Triple-H

Another thing to watch when you rest the HT is the clear plastic strip along the front edge. (this is on my 02, not sure if it's on all years)

When I put the HT on the stand in December, I put folded up kitchen towel under the parts where it rested on the stand to protect the paint.

When I lifted it again in february, I found that the adhesive sticking the plastic strip to the HT had picked up bits of the towel - it was a PITA to remove, and now the strip doesn't quite stick down properly.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:17 PM

Sammyc,

Moggy managed it when he picked up my spare. He also had a passenger and about 300 miles to drive!!!

Think he broke it down into it's two parts and removed the spare wheel. Not sure about the rest of the contortions though.

Del.
Old 05-19-2004, 10:44 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by derekbuck
Sammyc,

Moggy managed it when he picked up my spare.
Old 05-19-2004, 11:07 PM

Not really, I wasn't there when Moggy managed this superhuman feat. But he certainly didn't leave any bits behind.

PM him and he might remember how.

Del.

Quick Reply: Storing hardtop on end???