UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Stone chip and body work advice

Old 07-22-2005, 04:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stone chip and body work advice

After searching on stone chips I couldn
Old 07-22-2005, 05:03 AM

Hiya mate. There are many companies that now work as mobile units for example dentmaster - these guys will come to your house, pull out any dents, sort out any stonechips etc etc, pretty cheap and well worth a look.

As for scratches, can you feel them when you run your finger over them? If not then you will be able to get rid of them by using some T-cut - read the instructions on the bottle and that should sort them for you mate - nice and cheap

As for bodywork, whenever you take your car in to have something new fitted, the quote is to fit the part and get your car back otherwise as it was. Any new marks left after the job or are obviously a result of the work that has been carried out will be sorted by the bodyshop before it leaves.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:57 AM

Cheers,

Will look into a dent and stone chip man...sounds ideal.

I read somewhere on here that T-Cut is quite abrasive and its not a good idea to use?
Old 07-22-2005, 06:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to dent master and T cut!

The "touch up" the dent guys do tends to have a limited life and often causes problems further down the line.

I would NEVER use T cut on a car, it relies on cutting the finish back to fresh good stuff. Not a good idea on many paint finishes as they often have a lacquer on top to protect it!

I would not trust any one else to clean and polish my car. I am a Rahula convert. Have a look at his web site;

Rahulas Cleaning Bible

With the stone chips I use the Honda touch up pen and a cocktail stick. Slowly and gently fill the chip with paint until it is flush or at least less noticeably. Clean and polish as normal! There are more invloved ways but I am always aware they can do more harm than good.

Black is one of the harder colours to get a good finish on, plus you will never get close the mirror that is Amuse Boys Berlina Black Beast.

Let the modding begin

Just my 2P!
Old 07-22-2005, 06:35 AM

I have Chips Away coming to repair a small but rusty stone chip and some other scratches tomorrow, so can post some feedback then. The work is being paid for by the Local dealer who failed to sort the chip out from last November when I bought the car!
Old 07-22-2005, 06:48 AM

The downside to giving the car a full clean is that I always find more stonechips.
I use the Honda touchup paint, let it dry, and then polish over then try to get a coat of Autoglym resin over the top. It's never a perfect finish, but it's far better than a chip in the paint.
Old 07-22-2005, 08:02 AM

I agree its much better but never perfect! Think id like a competition with the best 'mirror' finish on a Berlina!

See if Amuse Boys is up to scratch (scuse the pun)

Anyone else in the Northants area?

Alex
Old 07-22-2005, 08:26 AM

Used a mobile touch up chap on my last motorbike and he did an excellent job. I was really impressed-think the cost was about
Old 07-22-2005, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by astephen,Jul 22 2005, 05:02 PM
Anyone else in the Northants area?

Alex
Yes, Long Buckby - up the A428.

One of the reasons I chose flat red was that it was easier to repair stone chips.
Old 07-22-2005, 12:07 PM

PM'd you, I must pass your house pretty much every day!

Quick Reply: Stone chip and body work advice