UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Sticky steering wheel

Old 09-13-2013, 03:34 AM
MIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sticky steering wheel

For some (non-filthy) reason my steering wheel is a bit tacky to the touch. I think the cleaning wipes I've used maybe leave some residue or something. What's good for cleaning a steering wheel?
Old 09-13-2013, 04:11 AM

I use weak solution of washing-up liquid (fairy etc) with hot-water as a de-greaser, applied with a green (non-brillo!) scourer pad to get into the grain of the leather followed by (after drying), some leather 'food' I got for my leather sofas from DFS! Works for me but expect someone will be along to recommend some 'spoon' product which needs to be imported from USA at great cost.. I think there is a cleaning guide on the forum already somewhere that covers all the interior leather?
Old 09-13-2013, 07:27 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

I remember a thread advocating some JML plastic foam as a cleaner, it worked fine and got rid of the shine.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by richmc
I remember a thread advocating some JML plastic foam as a cleaner, it worked fine and got rid of the shine.
Report to DOKTOR POWER!
http://www.jmldirect.com/uk/doktor-p...me30100000001/

Really works, albeit at the expense of removing layers of leather.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by richmc
I've heard using them is a short term fix as it's like sanding the wheel with very high grit. Strips off the top shiny layer and looks great but then has no protection so with absorb the oils from your hands again and this time soak into the leather.

It's fine if you plan to fully refurb the leather but not a fix in itself.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:43 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilipGB
Originally Posted by richmc' timestamp='1379086031' post='22776496
I've heard using them is a short term fix as it's like sanding the wheel with very high grit. Strips off the top shiny layer and looks great but then has no protection so with absorb the oils from your hands again and this time soak into the leather.

It's fine if you plan to fully refurb the leather but not a fix in itself.
Worked great for me, as for reabsorbing oils, just don't sit in the S eating a kebab.

you can then use any leather protectant to seal it afterwards, can't remember the one I used, swissvax one are supposed to be good, but stay away from "conditioners" they usually introduce some kind of oil.
Old 09-14-2013, 06:27 AM

Received 253 Likes on 218 Posts

I use a rag/duster damp with some hand soap worked into it, then rinsed off using the same rag after it has been washed out, I've found that hand wipes etc leave as much residue as they clean off, or maybe baby wipes supposedly good for cleaning leather furniture.?
Old 09-14-2013, 03:06 PM

Just use apc. No point wasting money making things awkward
Old 09-20-2013, 12:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found a brilliant solution.

Next time you fill up spill some petrol on your hands, guaranteed to make the steering wheel impossible to grip.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:51 AM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The best solution is to get a new one from RobinA3 like this

Sent from my SGS4

Quick Reply: Sticky steering wheel