UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Stick to s02,s

Old 02-24-2002, 01:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by EXBOX
One thing I have noticed which is more worrying though is the feeling of instability on the overrun. Once you lift off, in a straight line, the car seems to want to weave about and it does feel slightly out of control!
The most likely cause is the rear tires not being at the same pressure, as Cedric's already mentioned. The throttle is sensitive, and the engine spools up/down quite quickly, but in a straight line this shouldn't unsettle the car at all.

-Brian.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had the new s02s on for a week now after my problems with s03pp and what a laugh. Had the first dry sunny day and put my foot down well I was smiling from ear to ear the rear end felt as though it had superglue on the tyres. I must say I totally dissagree with people who say s02s are useless in the wet. we had a big downpour yesterday and the car felt very composed both on the motorway and through country roads, the only time they feel a bit dodgy is when its cold.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:53 PM

Originally posted by Colin Killick
Just had the new s02s on for a week now after my problems with s03pp and what a laugh. Had the first dry sunny day and put my foot down well I was smiling from ear to ear the rear end felt as though it had superglue on the tyres. I must say I totally dissagree with people who say s02s are useless in the wet. we had a big downpour yesterday and the car felt very composed both on the motorway and through country roads, the only time they feel a bit dodgy is when its cold.
Colin,

Im with you on this, I think the S02's are excellent tyres, fantastic in the dry and adequate when its wet. I wouldnt risk anything else on the car.

Glad your now back to full

Cheers
Old 02-25-2002, 08:58 AM

Thanks for info on the tire pressures.

I must admit I was religious on the Boxster with them, but having had the Honda for only just over a month Ive not checked them at all. I will go and get a gauge from Halfords now!

Oh and check those spacer thingies! Where am I looking for them? Presumably within the upper part of the coil springs I spose? Where are they then! LOL.

Oh, my name is Jeremy by the way. I'm always cautious giving out real names over the 'net so logged in with the pseudonym before I know what the score was..............Ive been reading the posts here since I got the car and learnt a lot. Mostly looking at the Americans before I found the UK section.

How do I change my profile now then?

Thanks a bunch.

Jeremy.
Old 02-25-2002, 12:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have to say that I feel very confident in my S2000 under exactly the conditions Jeremy described.
The car transfers weight beautifully and stays very balanced on most roads.

On rutted roads however, there is sometimes a slight wiggle when applying the throttle hard as one of the rear tyres skips over the bumps and the other remains on the road but the tyres and differential do their job well and the feeling doesn't turn into anything nasty. Lifting off suddenly causes the rear to go light and loads the front tyres so I'd be looking at their pressures as well as the rear and inspecting all of the shocks for leaks. Something must be reacting differently here to cause the car to "weave about" when lifting off. My car stays planted even with full-on braking.

When my car was still quite new I did have trouble with the quick steering. I found myself applying steering input when I wasn't expecting to (during accel and decel).
I was all over the place (relatively speaking) for the first month. As time went on this became less of a problem, but I also noticed a big change after my first track day.
I definitely improved my driving after finding (and exceeding) the limit, but I also scrubbed my immaculate front tyres. Until I fit new tyres, I'll never be sure but I think the more rounded profile my tyres now have gives less oversteer. There is less tramlining than I noticed when my car was brand new.

As for fuel "economy" I was getting between 28 and 32 when I was measuring it. I gave up on my last track day when I averaged 14 mpg on the track!
But I think my S2000 is just beating my Accord which is consistantly returning 28mpg.