UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Stick to s02,s

Old 02-20-2002, 02:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stevenleith
[B]

There is no need for a dig in the back re the incident several months ago - i don't drive this car fast around corners and i never did.
Old 02-21-2002, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm Interesting!!!
Old 02-21-2002, 02:06 PM

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson

Steven... I wasn't "Digging you in the back" about anything! Your incident of some time ago never crossed my mind!! The reason that I voiced the opinion that you could avoid the problem by slowing down was that you talked about the car skipping "A few feet". Cars don't do that at slow speeds even on the bumpiest surfaces, or at least that's my experience, which is all I can really draw on. As for me being totally patronising and stereotypical towards your age group, well I'm sorry that that's the impression you've got, I don't believe that to be true at all, and it was never my intention. Thats as far as I really care to go explaining myself to you anyway! ............O.K?
Sorry CT - i was having a bad day and was a bit miffed about the slow down comment. Thanks for the reply - Peace?

I'm hoping the new alignment settings will settle the car down a bit in terms of the rear end movement over bumpy surfaces - i'll be getting it done asap.....
Old 02-21-2002, 04:31 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stevenleith
[B]

Sorry CT - i was having a bad day and was a bit miffed about the slow down comment.
Old 02-22-2002, 12:48 AM

I had dinner with a friend last night who told me he'd just sold his 6 year old Porsche 911 twin turbo, 4 wheel drive (and also that he'd wrecked his ex-works Subaru Rally car whilst testing it around the single track lanes at the back of his house (hit a
Old 02-24-2002, 05:01 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm new on here so apologies if I get this posting thing wrong or look a right prat ok!

Interested in this thread on bump steer.

Ive had my S2000 since mid January 2002 and have done about 3000 miles in it. In my opinion it doesnt bump steer but it does have what you might call very sharp handling.

I changed a Boxster for the Honda and I'll be very controversial here and say that the Boxster handled better! Well, ok, differently then!

The Boxster was extremely forgiving, over almost any road surface there was no tendency to wander etc and for that it was not demanding to drive. The S2000 on the other hand requires full attention all the time as it is skipping and hopping and wandering towards the kerb over anything but the best roads.

I would add that I dont thrash the car, this is at normal 40-60 mph speeds on our very poorly maintained roads!

I've never been on a track but plan to when I can.
Old 02-24-2002, 10:36 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by EXBOX
[B]Hi Guys,

I'm new on here so apologies if I get this posting thing wrong or look a right prat ok!

Interested in this thread on bump steer.

Ive had my S2000 since mid January 2002 and have done about 3000 miles in it. In my opinion it doesnt bump steer but it does have what you might call very sharp handling.

I changed a Boxster for the Honda and
Old 02-24-2002, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Cedric Tomkinson

It's the snappy handling of the S2000 that makes it a joy to drive for me, and I suspect most others here. It's a very demanding car to drive at high speeds and demands total concentration. The casual approach has little to do with driving this car!
I'd agree with you here Cedric. I was suprised how tail happy the S2000 was on the training day I did - reading about it was one thing, but doing was another! I'm actually glad of this behaviour - I don't like understeer. Sure, you don't want to be casual with the S2000, but I find it a hoot to drive.

I'm not going to argue about which cars are better handling any more. I care about how big a grin a car puts on my face. The S2000 isn't perfect, but it sure does give me plenty of moments!

-Brian.
Old 02-24-2002, 11:33 AM

Cedric,

Thanks for the reply.

I enjoyed my time with the Boxster. Having had one I do now understand why people rate them so highly. The only down side was cost of ownership. Not fuel consumption, that was good, just the cost of servicing which was horrendous.

I dont mind the fidgetyness of the Honda its part of its character, but ultimately I think its a barr to achieving good cross country progress. From what I can see on this forum lots of people take them on the track though?

One thing I have noticed which is more worrying though is the feeling of instability on the overrun. Once you lift off, in a straight line, the car seems to want to weave about and it does feel slightly out of control!

One very positive thing I've noticed compared with the Boxster is the far better fit and finish on the Honda, particularly the interior, and I also get better fuel consumption.

Using the Shell Optimax I get just over 35 mpg on a motorway run, and over 30 mpg around town?

What do you guys get? Or should I start a different thread!

Cheers!
Old 02-24-2002, 12:25 PM

EXBOX

I don't think I'm getting much more than mid 20's mileage, but most of mine is in the urban crawl. I reckon I do get over 30 though on a good run. I don't worry about miles per gallon too much!

Re. yor comments on twitchiness on the overun... I really don't experience this. I can honestly say that even at speeds that would get my licence torn up on the spot, the car feels tremendously well planted and stable! This subject of twitchiness has been mucho mucho discussed on this board and the U.S. Boards. In the end I suppose it comes down to a feeling through your rear end which is very personal! Things to check in the light of the experience of many people:-

(1) Have the plastic transportation spacers been removed from your suspension springs? Lots of people have found that some or all of them are still in there! They're supposed to be removed by your Honda dealer as part of the P.D.I.

(2) The recommended tyre pressures for SO2s is 32 psi all round. In common with most users I find this to be the best! In fact just one tyre being down a couple of pounds can make a huge difference, I find, to the handling of the car. Don't trust service station gauges. Lots of us have bought a proper calibrated gauge.

(3) Finally, if you're still not happy get your alignment settings checked out.

I'd be a little concerned if I was experiencing this twitchiness in a straight line as I don't think you should be getting it!!

Hope this helps.

BTW you can become an owner

<-------- by editing your profile and inserting your VIN No. You'll also get 10 mb of storage space on the site for pics.

Have we got to keep calling you EXBOX?

Quick Reply: Stick to s02,s