UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Stick On Front Number Plate

Old 07-22-2004, 01:57 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

PJL has done it, I'll try dig out some pics
Old 07-22-2004, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jaeger, like that! Is that just a standard-ish Plate with the mounting kit removed?
Old 07-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Old 07-22-2004, 03:33 PM

Standard plate that has legal spacing. just got fed up with all that plastic, so took it off. Wasn't easy and it's got holes that I haven't seen mentioned on other threads.

I just marked it about 3 mm from the top of the letters and jig sawed it off then trimmed it and rounded the corners with a belt sander. At least the spacing won't be an issue?

Here's PJL's car just coming off track ...

Old 07-22-2004, 04:20 PM

FWIW I think you'll find the law specifies a size and BS number for number plates. I don't know if stick on ones would be the right BS standard, but cutting plates down probably isn't technicallyallowed.

I had reason to look into this over here since the Island's police have decided they haven't got anything better to do and have announced a clampdown starting in September. Problem over here is illegal colours (I have a silver on black which is totally legible and looks great IMO - see picture), but some w*nkers have spoiled it for the rest by taking the p*ss and also having completely illegible and/or miniature characters. I was looking for a loophole so I could put something that still looked decent on the car, but I've drawn a blank so far. Trouble is, with a car like the S on the Island, you're almost asking to be pulled over just for being there, having an illegal plate makes it even easier
Old 07-22-2004, 08:42 PM

I just removed the tacky number plate surround, and had a plate custom made. I didnt have to bother with chopping it down myself - just gave the nice plate man my specifications and they made it for me. Of course, I had to sign the waiver to say I knew it was for show use only, just to keep it legal with them.

I think my plate was just a little larger than a motorcycle plate.

No big deal. If you dont drive around like a maniac plod wont pull you just for your plate (in my experience).

Old 07-22-2004, 10:21 PM

This is what you're confronted with when you remove the front plate surround; as I did. 6 bloody holes in the front bumper. I have 8 holes as the screw used to fix the plate to the surround had gone through into the bumper itself

After seing this I just put the surround back on and scrapped the idea
Old 07-22-2004, 11:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=Blurter,Jul 23 2004, 06:21 AM] This is what you're confronted with when you remove the front plate surround; as I did. 6 bloody holes in the front bumper. I have 8 holes as the screw used to fix the plate to the surround had gone through into the bumper itself
Old 07-22-2004, 11:25 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000GT,Jul 23 2004, 04:42 AM
I just removed the tacky number plate surround, and had a plate custom made. I didnt have to bother with chopping it down myself - just gave the nice plate man my specifications and they made it for me. Of course, I had to sign the waiver to say I knew it was for show use only, just to keep it legal with them.

I think my plate was just a little larger than a motorcycle plate.

No big deal. If you dont drive around like a maniac plod wont pull you just for your plate (in my experience).
Good compromise - I may get a front plate made up just wide enough to cover those nasty holes up, and with a depth to match the bumper depth at that point, and take that black mounting bracket off (which is even uglier than the standard plate itself). Thanks for all your input
Old 07-23-2004, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by mikdys,Jul 23 2004, 07:14 AM
EDIT:

One last idea for those that can afford a bumber respray - how about spray painting the number plate (with an air brush) onto a black grill tech
That would be a big no-no as the plate has to be reflective.

The US market have oblong bumper-plugs to cover the 2 pairs of holes, what are those little black squares? Are they more holes? If so it seems like overkill by Honda.

How do you remove the surround? Do you have to go round the back of the bumper or can it be done by unscrewing the surround? I'm tempted to see if mine has all those holes.

Quick Reply: Stick On Front Number Plate