UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Stick On Front Number Plate

Old 07-22-2004, 05:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Stick On Front Number Plate

http://www.newlinedesign.co.uk/carfx/produ...s_p_oblong.html

I couldn't help thinking (watching top gear on Sunday) how good the stick on front number plate looked on the Ford GT (the rest of the car helped too of course!). I wonder how good one of these would look on the front of the S, stuck on the bottom lip of the radiator air intake. Also, whether our friends in blue would take exception to this (it would, after all, be a token gesture to "staying legal" as opposed to just taking that damn ugly front number plate off).

Any views (and has anybody done this already)?
Old 07-22-2004, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been thinking about this for a while, and im sure someone here has done this - it may have been Andrew Doherty but i cant remember - it was a silverstone - and the look was much better indeed.

I think its dubious as to plod, as the removal of the front number plate makes aiming a hairdrier alot more difficult. I think same ish situation as dodgy spacing - might get you a producer, but of course once plate is removed and holes filled, shaved and bumper resprayed much harder to return to stock.

will be interested to see how many others are thinking the same.

R.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:05 AM

I was thinking about doing the same. I have already got my new stick on front plate from fancyplates.com, and was debating on installing it where the old plate was - as many on here have done, or trying to mount it on the bottom lip. I have seen this on www.s2ki.info and think it looks quite good

Still a bit concerned about how to fill the holes from the old plate if i did this though.
Old 07-22-2004, 06:10 AM
Community Organizer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have stick on number plates, but only on the normal place.

I have found no problems with them and it stops having those horrible screws showing. In fact we it went for it's MOT, the guys at Honda got me some new ones (as mine are illegally paced) and stuck them over the top.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:52 AM

If your quoting the book then it's illegal, see No. 26 of this faq: http://www.dvla.gov.uk/faq/faq_number_plates.htm#14

A friend of mine displayed one on the top right hand side of the windscreen, following some rather impressive bumper modifications to his old 3dr Impreza STI 5. He did get pulled by the Police, they merely suggested the plate should be located in a more "traditional" place on the car!

They certainly didn't ticket him for the offence, anyway how many JDM Mazda MX5's have you seen with the plate stuck on the nose of the car pointing at the sky! I rekon you would get away with it if it was clearly displayed, not sure the bottom lip of the bumper on the S will be clear enough though
Old 07-22-2004, 11:57 AM

Have been driving around in a car with stick-on front plate (and varying sized, but all too small rear plate for that matter) for 5 years now with no problem. It's no guarantee, cos as has been said they're not legal, but IME they're not too much of an issue.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:59 AM

Tim, any chance of a couple of photographs to see what it looks like?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:10 PM

It's not a Honda, but can post some up here if you like?
Old 07-22-2004, 12:32 PM

I think the way to do this is, as you say, remove the surround, get the front bumper removed, filled and resprayed. Then attach the stick on plate in the same place as the original plate. My plate is only 5 characters which reduces the width of plate required.

Due to the costs involed and the fact that it would be difficult to retun to stock, I decided against it. But I believe that is the best thing to do if you can afford it.

Just my 2p worth

Dave
Old 07-22-2004, 01:26 PM

Or you could do this ....

Quick Reply: Stick On Front Number Plate