UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Stereo Issues

Old 12-11-2007, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo Issues

I'm having a little problem with my stereo and/or speakers.

I had an Alpine CDE-9850Ri fitted shortly after I bought the car but the problem has just started occurring in the last few days.
Every now and then the passenger side door speaker keeps failing. No sound at all. It makes for some quite interesting "scare-the-shit-out-of-me" moments when it starts working again after I've turned the volume up to compensate.

Just wondering what I should check first? My immediate thoughts would be the connectors at the back of the stereo but I thought I'd ask for advice before I do anything, just in case anyone else has experienced it before.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had the same problem for quite some time. Usually the tweeter is affected. Have you checked that the speaker wire is not shorting against the door panel? Of course, this is unlikely to be an issue if the ICE installer just plugged the HU into the existing speaker loom and did not replace the speaker wiring and speakers.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Paper Lawyer,Dec 11 2007, 10:38 PM
I've had the same problem for quite some time. Usually the tweeter is affected. Have you checked that the speaker wire is not shorting against the door panel? Of course, this is unlikely to be an issue if the ICE installer just plugged the HU into the existing speaker loom and did not replace the speaker wiring and speakers.
I haven't checked anything yet. I only noticed it on Sunday night and I've done two 11-hour shifts since then. Need some time off.

AFAIK the head unit was plugged directly into the existing wiring. I've got the (I think Alpine, as well) dashboard interface fitted and I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

Without wanting to sound like a complete tool; does a '99 JDM have tweeters? I know on a pre '02 UK spec they have tweeters above the dash near the door mirrors (don't they?) but my JDM has none. I'm slightly that I don't know any more.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of the connectors behind the head unit not making good contact or not pushed together well enough?
Corrosion on speaker terminals?
Next time it does it give the speaker area a thump and see if it comes on or try wiggleing the wires behind the head unit, you can get your hand in from the foot well.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 241 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Shopman,Dec 11 2007, 11:52 PM
you can get your hand in from the foot well.
if she spreads for you ...
Old 12-11-2007, 11:54 PM

Originally Posted by Shopman,Dec 11 2007, 11:52 PM
One of the connectors behind the head unit not making good contact or not pushed together well enough?
Corrosion on speaker terminals?
Next time it does it give the speaker area a thump and see if it comes on or try wiggleing the wires behind the head unit, you can get your hand in from the foot well.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. It hasn't done it on the way to work this morning so maybe it's fixed itself for now.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by GrittyShaker,Dec 11 2007, 10:34 PM

I'm having a little problem with my stereo and/or speakers.

I had an Alpine CDE-9850Ri fitted shortly after I bought the car but the problem has just started occurring in the last few days.
Every now and then the passenger side door speaker keeps failing. No sound at all. It makes for some quite interesting "scare-the-shit-out-of-me" moments when it starts working again after I've turned the volume up to compensate.

Just wondering what I should check first? My immediate thoughts would be the connectors at the back of the stereo but I thought I'd ask for advice before I do anything, just in case anyone else has experienced it before.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
I'd suggest if you decide to take your head unit out, or take the door card out. Do both at the same time and test for continuity between the wiring loom and the spade connectors at the other end. Thus you will be able to wiggle the wiring at both ends one at a time and find where the fault lies, also check for breakdown from the positive to the negative of the run.

But hey am an Electronics Tech I do things the easy way
Old 12-12-2007, 12:51 AM

iv got that alpine head unit aswell and will be fitting into the S next week - i was jsut hoping it would plug and play. Do i need to get one of those interface thingey majigs?
Old 12-12-2007, 01:32 AM

You don't need it for the stereo to function but you can't use the dash' controls without it.
It's a bit of a bugger to use the stereo without it because of the position of the gear lever in front of the HU. IMO anyway.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:13 AM

lol i understand now, i was thinking he was talking about that facia thing so that the head unit sits snug.... hmmm il think about the interface, could just use the remote that comes with it and stick it to the dash lol or leave it on random....

Quick Reply: Stereo Issues