UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Standard exhaust on F/I car?

Old 01-11-2013, 01:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bow1build
Hi Martin, when I had your supercharger system with dixons 76 r exhaust system my neighbour had a bit of a dig over the window rattling and general vibrations,but he worked for me so had to like it or lump it.

Loving it! Although i'm quite sure he was giving you banter whereas BM's neighbour is just being miserable!
Old 01-11-2013, 01:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blue monster
What's an exhaust valve?

Without meaning to appear stupid

Sent using Tapatalk
It's a butterfly control valve for exhaust system. There are some integrations to the muffler or just in the middle of the exhaust pipe. Here's one implementation and you can hear the difference in sound too:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuvukjbX5-M[/media]

Check the commercial if you want know more about that product. You could make your own configuration quite easily.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is also something In the FI forum worth a look-

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/996...ipe-group-buy/
Old 01-12-2013, 12:55 AM
Community Organizer

Raz, thanks for posting this - it looks really good but I'm trying to avoid the cost of a remap if I can.

We need some in the UK to produce something like this..............Matt - what do you reckon - can you make one?
Old 01-12-2013, 01:00 AM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by K3Nguru
Originally Posted by blue monster' timestamp='1357927109' post='22260701
What's an exhaust valve?

Without meaning to appear stupid

Sent using Tapatalk
It's a butterfly control valve for exhaust system. There are some integrations to the muffler or just in the middle of the exhaust pipe. Here's one implementation and you can hear the difference in sound too:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AuvukjbX5-M[/media]

Check the commercial if you want know more about that product. You could make your own configuration quite easily.
Tommi, only our friends across the pond could come up with a remote control exhaust - does the job though

Old 01-12-2013, 04:19 AM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Do you park your car on a driveway. If so you could try reversing it on so all the sound is pointing towards you rather than your moaning neighbour. Might make him chill out abit.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:43 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts

It's a reason I detest most rice pipes.

Can you not stuff a sock (well, T-shirt) into it?

It'll change the RF for a few mins until the metal warms up (flutes change harmonics likewise & sound horrible when cold) & see if it helps.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:53 AM

Spoon do a manual one just fits between a flanged joint on the exhaust, you end up with a pull cable in the car bit like a choke if your old enough to remember
Just pull it half closed before starting get out of the street and open it up full

Here is one not spoon but good enough
http://www.nengun.com/apexi/exhaust-control-valve
Old 01-13-2013, 07:59 AM

Wouldn't that add a lot of extra back pressure on the exhaust and affect scavenging?
Old 01-14-2013, 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by gbduo
Wouldn't that add a lot of extra back pressure on the exhaust and affect scavenging?
its only restrictive when closed, there will be some restriction caused by the shaft diameter but its not much in cross section, at low to mid rpm your not producing large volumes of exhaust gas so you could shut the falve a 3rd closed and have the same back pressure as an open system at full chat, thats a rough guestimate but i think it gets the point accross. im not suggesting he drive around with it shut, just untill out of earshot of the neighbours.
at £100 its cheaper than replacing and you still get the fun of a loud exhaust.

guillotine version here for a bit more dosh, not sure how you would control the stop possition on this unless you had a 40 mm hole drilled in the blade and just fully shut it
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/do...1/media/images

Quick Reply: Standard exhaust on F/I car?