UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Standard exhaust on F/I car?

Old 01-11-2013, 05:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
Originally Posted by blue monster' timestamp='1357903359' post='22260022
Steve has sold his silenced decat & I've done some digging on them and TBH don't think that one is going to make a massive difference in tems of noise reduction.

I had to go in to the office early yesterday which meant leaving the house just after 7am and upon my return last night my neighbour reminded me again of how noisy my exhaust is Although I don't often go in early I can appreciate his point.

I'm not overly keen on fitting & removing bungs every time I go out but thanks for the suggestion

So, for the moment, in order to keep the peace I am planning to refit my OEM exhaust & get a remap unless any one has any better ideas?
How awesome must their lives be if all they have to complain about is your exhaust noise for 30 seconds a day. And, it really isn't that loud.

All bullsh1t aside, have you asked him what it is about the noise that annoys him? Is it the volume/sound/time of day? Seriously now, say that you are willing to change, but that it is going to cost you the best part of £500 and ask him if he would mind paying for half of it.

When I think of the stuff I've put up with from neighbours over the years, complaining about a guy like you is very pissy.

We have MotoX maniacs where I live, your neighbours would implode!
Old 01-11-2013, 05:39 AM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No mate, I haven't asked him directly which part of the noise is annoying him although he has pointed out that it's boomy if that's a word, vibrates/makes his house shake/rattle & yes he leads a fantastic lifestyle as a curtain twitcher

I shouldn't laugh as this is going to end up costing me money if I do swap my exhausts.

Although, I've fancied a Mugen exhaust for a while - maybe this is the time to try and track down a 2nd hand one as from what I have heard thay are quieter than mine
Old 01-11-2013, 06:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get paranoid about firing up the car on these cold dark weekend mornings. My weekend start time is about 6am both Saturday and Sunday and the cold idle at about 2k, the square of garages and concrete parking area seems to amplify the experience.

7am on weekday everyone should be out of bed.
Old 01-11-2013, 07:43 AM

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

If it's just the low frequency rumble a simple resonator box in the right place should sort it. Make him pay for it too.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I still think one of those exhaust valves would be perfect for this
Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 AM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I could do with a decent quieter exhaust.

I think I'm going to have problems on trackdays this year

I might try the Comptech one........
Old 01-11-2013, 08:58 AM
Community Organizer

What's an exhaust valve?

Without meaning to appear stupid

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2013, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Martin, when I had your supercharger system with dixons 76 r exhaust system my neighbour had a bit of a dig over the window rattling and general vibrations,but he worked for me so had to like it or lump it.When the wife moned about it I changed it back to my original HKS super silent dual exit cat back system .This made a huge difference and my neibogh reported back that didn t even notice when I was going or comming back from outings .
Old 01-11-2013, 10:22 AM
Community Organizer

Hey Greg, I know the 76r is loud which is why I never bothered The 65r sounds fantastic once you have the revs up, just a little loud at low revs.
I had a really good run home from work this evening where I was able to give it some beans & made me think wtf am I doing considering getting rid of this as the car is running like clockwork & why should I change my exhaust & spend money getting a remap when I don't need one!

So, just got to figure out now what to do about the neighbours

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd do the bung thing if I were you, Martin.

Like you've said, you're happy with where your car's at, so you resent the idea of modifying it to the detriment of your pleasure, only to satisfy that curtain twitcher. This I understand, but so too do I understand from first hand experience that p*ssing off your neighbours can be truly awful. Without going into too much detail, my parents experienced a nasty neighbour's attitude fifteen years or so ago over the felling of a tree in our garden, which made a small mess in hers (she'd asked us to carry out the work in the first place). It didn't end well. Her OCD for a neat and tidy appearance went into overdrive and she blew a fuse when the tree surgeon made a small sawdust related eyesore. You can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, eh? She went bananas, even though the 'problem' was easily fixed. She didn't get over it for the next three years and made our time in that house a living nightmare. We (I was in my teens and living at home) moved away in the end. Fortunately, what goes around comes around and I was served a fat dollop of schadenfreude a couple of years back when I heard what had happened to her.

x 1,000

Anyway, the top and bottom is, don't p*ss them off. It isn't worth the hassle. Bung up during the week and de-bung on weekends. Everyone should (hopefully) be happy.

Quick Reply: Standard exhaust on F/I car?