UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Standard exhaust on F/I car?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with lovegroova, speak to them and say you're trying to sort something out but it won't be overnight as you need to find the best way of doing it.

Maybe find another blown one with another exhaust system on to compare against if it's quieter?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:32 AM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I may decide to tell them to go themselves and leave things as they are I just wanted to see if I had options.

Exactly my thoughts....
Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Letting it go bad may mean they call the Police on you: http://www.essex.police.uk/news_feat...help_curb.aspx
No surprise to see that article offering up nonsense. Sgt Bloggs says 82dB. IVA says 99dB. I say that it wouldn't stand up in court at all. 5 mins with a science textbook and I,d be laughing!
Typical of Police to focus on loud exhausts rather than people who can't drive properly.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:23 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus
No surprise to see that article offering up nonsense. Sgt Bloggs says 82dB. IVA says 99dB. I say that it wouldn't stand up in court at all. 5 mins with a science textbook and I,d be laughing!
Typical of Police to focus on loud exhausts rather than people who can't drive properly.
This is worth a read. http://www.pistonhea...c.asp?t=1114421

See also this: http://www.legislati...ulation/54/made

(2) Every exhaust system and silencer shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not be altered so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases.

That's half this forum!

The (missed) point being that why stir up potential trouble with the neighbours/police(Section 59?) when it can probably be resolved amicably?
Old 01-04-2013, 03:44 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by razzele
We should organise a 6am impromptu meet!
Sunday mornings are the ideal time to confirm that a car has a performance exhaust and/or anti-lag system.

However a joke's a joke and once is more than enough.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:20 AM

Are you sure it's the FI and not something wrong with your exhaust?
At low rpm the sc won't be making much pressure so not much more exhaust volume, I don't remember mine making more noise on standard exhaust, Tannabe concept G was neighbour friendly but spoon N1 NA or FI was a bit anti social
Still unsure why no one has gone for a valve in the exhaust to keep things quiet at low rpm
Old 01-04-2013, 04:36 AM

Originally Posted by lovegroova
Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus' timestamp='1357300012' post='22245031
This is worth a read. http://www.pistonhea...c.asp?t=1114421

See also this: http://www.legislati...ulation/54/made

(2) Every exhaust system and silencer shall be maintained in good and efficient working order and shall not be altered so as to increase the noise made by the escape of exhaust gases.

That's half this forum!

The (missed) point being that why stir up potential trouble with the neighbours/police(Section 59?) when it can probably be resolved amicably?

Well that's open to massive interpretation isn't it. If I buy a new silencer I haven't altered it from the product I purchased. Those who have done the exhaust mod could say that it was done to make the system more efficient.

There is also a lot more I can throw at this such is it's weak construction, but i'm not going to give the secrets away just yet

As for the neighbours...

Having had issues with neighbours before, this is easy to resolve. I have had threats of court action from solicitors and allsorts. An eye for details, photographs along with some science has had all cases dropped faster than Felix Baumgartner.

I am currently pre-empting one now that came about because the old guy two doors down is jealous that we are young and our house is better than his. Incidentally, the argument started with BM's car!! Photos will prove he is a hypocrite and a liar

Going back to the original statement, if BM was revving the engine constantly or hooning around the driveway, fair enough. The guy is just trying to go about his business in a normal routine fashion and yet someone is trying to rain on his parade. If anyone should be prosecuted, it's these lot for causing undue stress.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by oxhouser
Are you sure it's the FI and not something wrong with your exhaust?
At low rpm the sc won't be making much pressure so not much more exhaust volume, I don't remember mine making more noise on standard exhaust, Tannabe concept G was neighbour friendly but spoon N1 NA or FI was a bit anti social
Still unsure why no one has gone for a valve in the exhaust to keep things quiet at low rpm
Personally, I think it's the decat that has increased the noise.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:57 AM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ron, two things:

1. Apologies I didn't realise my car had upset your neighbours

2. You are right about the decat, remember the day on the rolling road? Once the decat was on it was massively louder.

As for the situation, they haven't asked me to remove it, just moaning & I've said I would look into options hence this thread.

I don't think that they will go to the police or anyone like that.

I'm guessing that if I put my oem cat back on that I would still need a remap?

Sent using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2013, 06:05 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra_Nexus

Well that's open to massive interpretation isn't it. If I buy a new silencer I haven't altered it from the product I purchased. Those who have done the exhaust mod could say that it was done to make the system more efficient.

Going back to the original statement, if BM was revving the engine constantly or hooning around the driveway, fair enough. The guy is just trying to go about his business in a normal routine fashion and yet someone is trying to rain on his parade. If anyone should be prosecuted, it's these lot for causing undue stress.
No it isn't - if you alter your exhaust in any way which makes it louder, you are in breach. It may increase efficiency etc but that's not the point.

I wouldn't call fitting a very noisy exhaust (and all the other bits for that matter ) "normal routine" and neither would most people. When zzkamikaze visited me, my front door was rattling on its hinges from the noise at tickover. It would be very annoying to have to put up with that every day - I think that most people would feel the same.

It seems the neighbours have made a polite enquiry so why not respond in a polite way (as BM has done )? Being aggressive/rude will lead to the sorts of shenanigans you're experiencing/have experienced.

Quick Reply: Standard exhaust on F/I car?