UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Standard exhaust on F/I car?

Old 01-03-2013, 10:03 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Beato
Would a HFC make it quieter, but keep the performance?

Slightly but HFC's dont last long when boosted
Old 01-03-2013, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression the DMS exhausts weren't that loud??
Old 01-03-2013, 11:09 AM
Community Organizer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DanBes2k
I was under the impression the DMS exhausts weren't that loud??
It wasn't until I added the supercharger & decat - the charger changed the sound of the exhaust as sound_wave is describing above and the decat just made it louder

I had a HFC and it lasted less than 3 weeks and the car wasn't even fully mapped at that stage hence going decat
Old 01-03-2013, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by blue monster
Tango - all mods are declared to my insurance and the car is A1 no I have no issues should the plod turn up - but I don't want it to get to that stage.

Andy, you are right about it being louder since the charger went on, as I posted above. Not a bad idea about bungs but again do these simply reduce the noise or also restrict performance at the same time?
Bungs will reduce performance but do you really need 400bhp when you're coming to work? Not really.

As AJ said, get Dixon to make some with a single Allen bolt and it'll take two mins to remove both when you are out and about.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What about one of those exhaust valves we been talking about before on here?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM

Have you considered a silenced decat?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by blue monster
I don't intend to be rude to the neighbours as at the end of the day we have to live there and we have no intentions of moving.

The frustrating this is that I have had this exhaust on for almost 12 months however it is noticeably louder since the addition of the supercharger & decat.

I wouldn't mind them complaining if I sat outside reving the engine or sat outside for long periods of time but it is literally out of the garage around 8.20am each day and back home & back in to my garage around 6pm so not sure why they are making a fuss as they should be out of bed by 8.20am as they have to do the school run & go to work.

Maybe I'm not allowing them their extra 5 minutes in bed
You see this is typical of a person whose life is so pathetic, they have nothing left to do but complain about something. These are almost certainly the type of people who would object to you having an extension because they could.

I very much doubt these people complain about the binmen taking the rubbish out, or the 50cc stroker chicken chaser brigade or the bird calls from the albatross that obviously took a sh1t on my nose cone!

Have they actually asked you to replace it or have they just made passing comments on how loud it is?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:18 PM

Received 117 Likes on 82 Posts

Tell them if they're that concerned, you're happy for them to foot the bill for you to have a custom one made that's quieter
Old 01-03-2013, 11:50 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

My exhaust was too loud so I've inserted the bungs into the exhaust and packed them with motor bike wadding. It works and has reduced the noise levels enough for me.

One of my neighbours doesn't like it but its tuff. I don't like there family parking outside my house but thats life
Old 01-04-2013, 01:33 AM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

The bungs seem a good idea but in the meantime I'd go for a bit more clarity on what/when it's upsetting them and also tell them that you are looking at getting some bits that will make it a bit quieter. At least you'll look like you are genuinely concerned and are keen to "help out".

Being smiley and friendly will go a long way to diffusing the situation.

Letting it go bad may mean they call the Police on you: http://www.essex.police.uk/news_feat...help_curb.aspx

Quick Reply: Standard exhaust on F/I car?