UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

squeaking when accelerating -

Old 08-17-2009, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default squeaking when accelerating -

Not quite the same as the other thread on here, but this has got worse / more frequent, hence the search today and the conclusion I am either being paranoid OR my description of the problem is not the same as other problems relating to squeaking .

The clutch action is fine, smooth to depress and raise, this squeak is ONLY audible for a short period when acclerating from say 5 to 15 mph (i.e. in slow moving traffic) or when slowly accelerating between say 25 and 35 mph. Clutch is fully raised, and foot is not near pedal at this point. None of this will be with vtec engaged, just normal averagre acceleration i.e. when following a standard car or in slow moving traffic. Whether it does this beyond these speeds I can only say I have not heard, and I do not seem to hear it when accelerating hard - that could be as it is being drowned out by other noise though.

It seems to be from the rear, and more noticeable in the drivers seat than the passenger seat. I tried to record it, but failed miserably on that score. The best approximation I can make is that this is similar to squeaking brakes, but shorter duration and higher pitch and not when the brakes are in use. Car is behaving normally apart from this.

My inital searching produced the nipple grind down/grease option. I don't think it is brake related as the pads were changed about 2000 miles ago and this has only started recently (last week or two) and there is stacks left on the pads. She had the 54k service last summer based on time which was a full fluid change, the 63k in March based on mileage - she is not due another one for several k yet.

Anyone experienced this / know what it is? Is the fix above the bext option to go with, or have I missed something? Should I just turn up the radio?

Thanks.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:58 PM

well this certianly drew a load of responses

Took Mr 'Pode out in it today and we decided it was definitely NOT clutch related, or accelerator related and was a noise we had not heard (PHEW HAD THOUGHT I WAS A DUMB BLONDE FOR A WHILE HERE)

Mr 'Pode greased my spare wheel holding device (apologise a bottle of red and a brandy and my brain is mush) and wing nut drove home stuck in traffic, stop start (M25 what can I say) no noise at all - RESULT! Long may it continue.

Ta muchly Mr 'Pode!
Old 08-21-2009, 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by LadyB,Aug 21 2009, 10:58 PM
I WAS A DUMB BLONDE FOR A WHILE HERE
Old 08-21-2009, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by LadyB,Aug 21 2009, 10:58 PM
well this certianly drew a load of responses

Took Mr 'Pode out in it today and we decided it was definitely NOT clutch related, or accelerator related and was a noise we had not heard (PHEW HAD THOUGHT I WAS A DUMB BLONDE FOR A WHILE HERE)

Mr 'Pode greased my spare wheel holding device (apologise a bottle of red and a brandy and my brain is mush) and wing nut drove home stuck in traffic, stop start (M25 what can I say) no noise at all - RESULT! Long may it continue.

Ta muchly Mr 'Pode!
You are welcome.

And now that you have posted this - anyone in future who wishes to know the answer can merely...

...aww what;s the use. I give up

It was a punt LadyB - but glad it came through for you.