UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Springs or coilovers?

Old 09-12-2010, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs or coilovers?

Ok guys, need some advise on what to get. Ok, I have an Idea of what I want my car looking like, I want to slam the car around 3". Is this possible on just springs or would it be a safe idea to get some coilovers? I want something that will be quite comfortable, is this achievable on springs? Or is it another case in getting coilovers? What I'm trying to say is that I want something that will drop the car on it's backside but with a decent drive. Pics would be helpful guys and gals.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:24 PM

Cut your springs.

It'll cost you nothing.
Old 09-12-2010, 02:30 PM

Lolz
Old 09-12-2010, 03:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Buy some spring compressors and bolt them on.
You will need 8off.

You dont even need to take the thing to bits then, and its cheap.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Coilovers for 30mm+. I would say 50mm is the maximum you should go.

If you can cope with around 25mm, ebach do a spring kit which gets positive feedback.

If you lower it 3" your a tool You've got a great handling car, why ruin it......
Old 09-12-2010, 03:13 PM
Banned

You could do it on springs, but it would be extremely bounch as the shocks won't be designed for it at all.
Old 09-12-2010, 03:42 PM
Banned

Better answer as to why you shouldn't lower anymore than 20mm with springs.

Progressive rate springs don’t have a definitive spring rate because as their compressed their rate will increase, although they will be more comfortable than a linear rate spring, which rate will always stay constant. You also risk your OEM shocks weakening and blowing over time, consequently making your car unsafe to drive.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:00 PM

My last s2k had eibachs. and sat lovely on 18" BBS LM`s.

My current had spoon progressives. on track it handled lovely, i couldnt have asked for better but it just didnt sit how i wanted...

so I fitted Buddyclub n+ coilovers... it sits hideously low now.. my own doing, and handles well but just doesnt inspire the confidence the spoon setup did.

a lot fo USA based users rate espiler (sp?) springs highly as they give you the tyre hugging drop most people want, which is circa 2.5" i think.

and having just fell foul to a raised manhole cover and uneven road surface.. i wish i`d kept the spoon springs!
Old 09-12-2010, 04:02 PM

thanks for all the replies guys. so im guessing i should go with a set of coils. what would you recommend for a 2.5"/3.0" drop? by the way guys, im not tracking the car in anyway, i dont do silly miles in my car everyday, its mainly commuting to work 6 days aweek covering less then 15miles aday. im just going for more of a look but with a decent ride.
Old 09-12-2010, 04:05 PM

i use buddyclub n+, and i just put BC racing into a mates.

basically his bc`s are set to maximum low on the rear, and up about 1cm, and his fronts are dropped to give a mild nose down look.

his car catches nothing bar the wee black bumper flaps, however we are raising the front a tad as we think the spring cup is fouling the wishbone on hard cornering.

on a budget BC are highly recommended. other members run meister R and GAZ just released a s2000 option.

Amber performance can offer good S2ki deals on BC racing

I only got buddyclubs because i got them off a friend of similar money to the BC setup.

Quick Reply: Springs or coilovers?