UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Spoon-type CAI install

Old 02-05-2004, 10:57 AM

Received 58 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Spoon-type CAI install

I have just finished the CAI installation, thought I'd include a few tips and photos as suggested.

Removing the air duct is not too bad, once you've found the four hidden Honda clips on top of the bumper bar.

Using a long, thin screwdriver, prise up the middle insert. Then the base of the clip can easily be levered out. Access is best gained by releasing the closing panel screws and pushing down the back, as Chris suggested.

One must squeeze the air duct closed in order to remove it. This takes patience!

There is quite a lot going on in S2K VT's grille area, so I relocated the air pump across to the left.

I removed the air box, to release the clips holding down the stock intake. This was a waste of time. Simply grasp the bit you can see with pliers, and rip it apart. The stock intake then is discarded.

The new one slots into the air box, unsurprisingly, and into the front grille.

I put a foam rubber bit over the closing panel to prevent scuffing, but the CAI is a bit tight under the bonnet lid, meaning one must slam it rather violently. Obviously, one tends to test close it rather carefully at first, just to make sure! Anyway, I may yet lose the foam rubber bit.

After carefully trimming the air guide, I couldn't slot it in with the CAI in place. I ended up lopping approximately 1/3 off with a jigsaw.

Anyway, it's all gone back quite tidily.

Driving observations:

Throttle response is a bit jerky on/off. Either I or S2K need to re-map a bit.

Induction noise is slightly louder, a pleasant hiss at idle, a slight baritone boom higher up. Not ricer, just more noticeable. The car seems more responsive in VTEC, and fourth gear is usefully less gutless than before. In damp evening traffic, there was sadly little meaningful opportunity to test the top two, but the effect is generally a slight, but pleasant improvement in feel and smoothness.

And no kangarooing either
Old 02-05-2004, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick - did you put some draft excluder around the snorkel where it goes into the airbox - a good way to prevent any hot air getting in.

It does look very cool and your berlina is looking very shiny - you do me proud
Old 02-05-2004, 01:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found that a small patch of what we call pipe insulating foam placed where the bonnet contacts the CAI stopped any scratching. This material is quite thin and has a sticky back for ease on application. It will compress and closing the bonnet is much easier. Hope that this tip helps. Amuse Boy's suggestion is also good.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:56 AM

Thanks, AB! I cleaned it earlier that day, but after 35 miles in the wet, it's not that clean!

I didn't bother to seal the airbox, as the fit seems quite tight. Also, the pipe extends some way in.

FSures,

That sounds like a good one, but I cannot think of anything similar. Our pipe insulation is quite heavy stuff (unsurprisingly!). I shall try to find something similar.
Old 02-06-2004, 03:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nick, nice job - where did you source the CAI from and (if you don't mind me asking) how much ?
Old 02-07-2004, 03:48 AM

Hi fazer, thanks!

There was a link to Ebay form an earlier CAI thread. I cannot seem to locate it now.

There was eight of them, made in Hong Kong, for US$240 a piece.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...e=STRK:MEBWN:IT