UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Spoon N1 - its on and its goooooood

Old 08-04-2006, 10:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon N1 - its on and its goooooood

Well I've only gone and bloody fitted it!

Very excitedly I rushed home from work in the crappy courtesy car to pick the car up from the body shop with its lovely brand new wing, looking all shiny and lovely. Then zoomed back to the house, got changed and wasted no time in jacking the car up to get started fitting the spoon.

Thought I would do a step by step (ish) photo walk through of the 90 minutes it took me to do. Although I did miss quite a few photo ops!

My home for the next hour and a half. Right, where's that socket set?..

Ah so this is what it looks like under here and also why its one big piece. Not too happy about that rusty colour. The bolts to the Cat werent much better and took a fair amount of loosener to prize them free. Whilst waiting for that to take effect, liberal amounts of washing up liquid was applied to the rubber hangers (is it wrong that it felt nice massaging it in?!?)

Damn thats heavy, although with carefull balance and the use of all four limbs, I managed to not drop it on the floor in a cloud of dust. Should be in tip top condition to put back on once the eardrums are burst and I've lost 70% of my hearing.

No wonder its soooo damn heavy - look at the size of it compared to the Spoon N1

Hmmm perhaps this is why it's so loud

First bit is on - no probs so far (once I got over my panic of it not fitting and then turning it 90 degrees and realising I was lining it up wrong - duh)

All done - that wasnt so hard. Gaskets all in place, bolts are all tightened. Now to clear up and get it back on the ground.

Brilliantly Simple, simply brilliant.

Overall, not as daunting as I thought it was going to be. I took a lot of advice from you guys on the forum and I thank you all very much. The nuts to the cat were the only problem and after lots of loosener and then a dip back to GCSE Pyshics to work out to put a long arm on the ratchet and off they popped. As a one man job its just about do-able. I think with two people it'll be a doddle.

Went for the first drive and its very loud below 6000rpm with a nice boom and deep tone. Once Vtec kicks in its a different kettle of fish and almost sounds as if it gets quieter with the engine making all the noise. I suspect from the outside its a different story.

All in all, very happy. I'll be happier once I de-cat it and sort that issue out, but for the time being I'm well chuffed. I may even go for another drive.

Thanks again for all the advice and sorry if I got on anyones tits by asking so many questions.

Rich
Old 08-04-2006, 11:08 AM

Old 08-04-2006, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good dude. Any chance of a sound clip?

I'm a bit surprised that the Spoon N1 has such a small exhaust tip on it. Performance exhausts nearly always have something slightly larger than stock.

Don't worry about asking questions, that's what forums are for.
Old 08-04-2006, 12:19 PM
UK Trader

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

Looks as good as mine ski-bum!

They do sound louder when first started on idle, but as they warm they get slightly quieter!

Have you tried the bung yet???? I've had my N1 on for over a year now and the bungs been in for about 3 days out of 365!!
Old 08-04-2006, 12:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Your neighbors will hate you
Old 08-04-2006, 12:30 PM
UK Trader

Originally Posted by StevenM,Aug 4 2006, 09:21 PM
Your neighbors will hate you
My neighbour was in her kitchen one day and exactly the same time as I started my engine, she was turning on her washing machine...................

She nearly called out a repair man as she thought it was about to blow up! .....fortunatley then she heard me drive off up the road!

Still friends one year on! (nearly)
Old 08-04-2006, 12:31 PM

yeah - I did mention to one of the neighbours that it was slightly louder and they said they could already hear me coming in with the standard exhaust.

I havent tried the bug yet - I actually got two in the parcel so will put one up for sale incase anyone has lost one.

In Vtec I was expecting more of a noise to be honest. But I do love the low rev burble that it produces!

Can't wait to put the DeCat in there and see what difference that makes. May also take the airbox cover off tomorrow as well!
Old 08-04-2006, 12:36 PM
UK Trader

The cat will make a huge difference in noise when in vtec - IMO one of the cheapest mods that you can make (bar the airbox lid!)
Old 08-04-2006, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by ski-bum,Aug 4 2006, 08:31 PM
Can't wait to put the DeCat in there and see what difference that makes. May also take the airbox cover off tomorrow as well!
De-CAT will reduce any dronnnnnnnnnnnnne!!!!!!!

Keep the airbox cover on as it only reduces performance.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:44 AM

Well done ski-bum. looking forward to hearing it on sunday

Quick Reply: Spoon N1 - its on and its goooooood