UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

spoon filter

Old 07-02-2003, 08:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spoon filter

When the S arrives I'd like to replace the filter only. Am thinking Spoon, then saw the JR one on the JW website.

Anyone have either filter? and your thoughts please.

TIA.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:16 AM

Air filter buy a PRM, it makes more noise
Old 07-02-2003, 11:09 AM

I have the Spoon air filter - if you just replace the filter - it increases the intake noise and slight increase in throttle response. However if you add the spoon air duct along with cutting the divider in the air box, removing the L shape air director on the lid and sealing the hole at the back of the air box - it will seriously increase the noise along with much better throttle reponse.
Old 07-03-2003, 01:22 AM

Cheers guys.

Chris, want to keep the car as stock as poss. for the time being whilst I get used to her. I hear what you're saying though!

Anyone using the JR?
Old 07-03-2003, 01:45 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Used it and it was marvelous, lovely noise & I thought it seemed to free up more ponies. Tested on US sites it displayed 3-4 more BHP over the stock and more than a K & N freed, however it might just be that the paper one was filthy, my paper one was a bit dirty so a brand new paper might have been closer to to the JR? But the JR is servicable.

Early K & N's required chopping of the airbox, but later ones where drop in like the JR always was.
Old 07-03-2003, 03:57 AM

K&N is only
Old 07-03-2003, 04:03 AM

Originally posted by UK Paul
Used it and it was marvelous, lovely noise & I thought it seemed to free up more ponies. Tested on US sites it displayed 3-4 more BHP over the stock and more than a K & N freed, however it might just be that the paper one was filthy, my paper one was a bit dirty so a brand new paper might have been closer to to the JR? But the JR is servicable.

Early K & N's required chopping of the airbox, but later ones where drop in like the JR always was.
Sorry if this sounds stupid or has been asked before, but how can a simple air filter increase bhp by 3-4?
Old 07-03-2003, 04:22 AM

My understanding is that the Spoon, JR and K&N have better airflow. And they can be cleaned and reused.

Call me obsessed but I take off the spoon filter every week and use the vacuum to clean it. It only takes 5 mins and it still looks brand spanking new. It's not just for looks but I remember someone saying that foam filters are great for airflow and filtration but they can clog up very quickly.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by san2000

Sorry if this sounds stupid or has been asked before, but how can a simple air filter increase bhp by 3-4?
Just more clean (cool) air drawn into the combustion process, thats all a turbo-charger does really but with pressure.

On hot dry days you would surprised how many ponies you lose compared to a cold damp day, air being denser in this case.

Like I said, probably most noticeable pulling out a 10,000mile paper cone, like I did & putting in a new JR one. In any case a new paper one is probably worthwhile changing more frequently than Honda UK replace it (3 years!).

I got the JR one ~3 years ago for cost ~
Old 07-03-2003, 09:20 AM

Hi Baptistsan

If you'd like a chat about the options give me a call tomorrow and I can tell you why I use the JRs over any on all of our cars.

Quick Reply: spoon filter