UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Spoon ECU

Old 04-12-2011, 08:05 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Some odd statements in this thread!

There is an afr sensor in the exhuast, a primary lambda sensor in the manifold.

But, you can probably still run a Spoon ECU lean, the same as an OEM ecu can run lean if you have too many breathing mods. It is harder to run an ECU like the spoon lean, and unlikely as it's mapping will be based on some breathing mods.. Unless you know what mods it was designed for, you are making an assumption, which is always a bad thing.

The Spoon ECU is designed to work with certain breathing mods and probably cooling mods too, all made by Spoon. So while it can't be mapped, you are supposed to use the supporting mods it was designed to use.

I'd also imagine that the place you had it dynod would have given you an AFR chart if they were any good. Its probably on the graph but you may not have spotted it.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aimson - Do you have a CEL fix built in to the decat? If the decat made the ECU throw the Emissions cell it will be leaning the AFR out too much which could cause loss of power.

Sorry but I agree with MB on this, a decat will not make you loose power
Old 04-12-2011, 09:07 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Owen, the secondary sensor doesn't have any influence on the fuelling ECU, it's just there to check the efficiency of the cat.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:27 AM

Sorry your right, theory was right but wrong O2 sensor, looks like i need to brush up on my automotive electronics (ignore my previous post then )

Is the decat bore the same/ similar to your exhaust bore?
Old 04-13-2011, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Owen_1987
Aimson - Do you have a CEL fix built in to the decat? If the decat made the ECU throw the Emissions cell it will be leaning the AFR out too much which could cause loss of power.

Sorry but I agree with MB on this, a decat will not make you loose power
Dude I no longer have the de-cat on yes it did have the fix and yes it made more power when it was mapped, it lost power with stock ECU without map that is all
Old 04-13-2011, 12:20 AM

Originally Posted by MB
Some odd statements in this thread!

There is an afr sensor in the exhuast, a primary lambda sensor in the manifold.

But, you can probably still run a Spoon ECU lean, the same as an OEM ecu can run lean if you have too many breathing mods. It is harder to run an ECU like the spoon lean, and unlikely as it's mapping will be based on some breathing mods.. Unless you know what mods it was designed for, you are making an assumption, which is always a bad thing.

The Spoon ECU is designed to work with certain breathing mods and probably cooling mods too, all made by Spoon. So while it can't be mapped, you are supposed to use the supporting mods it was designed to use.

I'd also imagine that the place you had it dynod would have given you an AFR chart if they were any good. Its probably on the graph but you may not have spotted it.

I agree mate they do run leaner than the stock ECU the mods I have are all spoon apart from the exhaust so not worried about it being dangerous at all.

I did get the AFR chart read out originaly when it was mapped for the Unichip menas nothing now though as I now have the Spoon ECU I will get it on the rollers when I get a chance purely to provide info to the forum for people looking into getting one.
Old 04-13-2011, 08:42 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Interesting, i found my VAFC2 to outperform (mapped for my modifications) a spoon ECU but ATEOD its mapped for specific spoon modifications and high ron fuel, also my car with the VAFC2 didnt really need any fuel added.

IIRC the unichip ECU still tunes via the MAP sensor method.

A decat help's vtec transition, especially when lowering vtec engagement which probably explains why they run even leaner at engagement. IIRC a decat added power on my car.

Aimson, the spoon ECU is self learning yes but not in WOT.

Now i run a greddy emanage and I'm happy with it, however i'd be able to squeeze a little more power out of the car running a standalone.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Irvatron
Interesting, i found my VAFC2 to outperform (mapped for my modifications) a spoon ECU but ATEOD its mapped for specific spoon modifications and high ron fuel, also my car with the VAFC2 didnt really need any fuel added.

IIRC the unichip ECU still tunes via the MAP sensor method.

A decat help's vtec transition, especially when lowering vtec engagement which probably explains why they run even leaner at engagement. IIRC a decat added power on my car.

Aimson, the spoon ECU is self learning yes but not in WOT.

Now i run a greddy emanage and I'm happy with it, however i'd be able to squeeze a little more power out of the car running a standalone.
I agree I did notice when mapped the decat pipe made the VTEC transition much more agressive just didnt get on with the sounds more than anything.

I'm sure my overall BHP would still prob be higher with the Unichip but the car just feel better to drive with the spoon personal preference i'm sure
Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

anyone have any real Data or is this all supposition?

I'd be interested in the Spoon ECU, but all I see is people talking about it.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:24 AM

^+1

Quick Reply: Spoon ECU