UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Spoon ECU

Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fine if thats the case i dont have any charts and stats to back up my case except from past experiences and the way the car feels with and without the ECU. The only case im trying to make is that you dont need to do this and do that before you should use the ECU. I dont see why i should order the whole Spoon back catalogue to get optimum performance out of this ECU and i am not convinced that after spending all that money i will. But whatever tickles your nipples
Old 08-21-2008, 11:10 PM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Ok in simple English.

Spoon will have put the cooling, intake and exhaust mods on their car then tweaked the ECU to suit - that is optimum performance.

With all the mods you will definately be getting more cool air in, it will be expelled easier due to the manifold and exhaust sytem, and the engine will be running cooler because if it.

If you understand how ECU mapping works, you will know that the situation above allows you to run a bit leaner, and much more agressive ignition timing. These 2 things are pretty much the only factors which can give you more power from ECU mapping on a N/A car.

Should you just use the ECU on it's own - how do you expect to get the best out of it? The engine will be running hotter that the ECU is expecting (and that means you shouldn't really be running so much advance) and the airflows will be less etc etc.

So saying "you have to order the spoon back catalog" is a big exaggeration.

Saying you don't have to add the bits to get "optimum" performance is therefore totally incorrect.

The ECU will probably do a bit of good on it's own, on a stock car, but not as good as with all the other bits.

If you wan't to contiunue arguing the toss, I'd suggest you go and read up on how engines work, and about ECU mapping.

Hope that doesn't sound rude, but like I said earlier, having an opinion based on not a lot of fact is a bit unusual.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Guys im resurecting this thread.

I was sourcing the cooling mods, when i had a thought...

Because my car is a daily driver, and i never take it on the track and dont rag it not that often (seriously) and if i do its only for short periods of time, my logic is that the cooling mods might have a decremental effect and in theory induce engine wear, you can flame me if you want but i'd rather be put right ...

There is an optimum temp operating level with engines, with the cooling mods it kicks in at 65c as opposed to 80c (IIRC), that means it will never get upto optimum temperature which is a safe value, this could also be a problem at very low tempeture in winter.

I think when spoon created these, It is meant for a track where the car is under extreme heat and contanst heavy loads for extended periods which in turn gets hot and you need the cooling mods my scenario is different.

I dont claim to be an expert, but i believe theres some logic in my argument.

Also remember than i dont plan to add the spoon mods like manifold and exhaust, though i do have other minor mods.

Fire away thanks
Old 08-27-2008, 06:17 AM

Did you get the Spoon ECU when it was advertised on ebay ??
Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by A7DY W,Aug 27 2008, 02:17 PM
Did you get the Spoon ECU when it was advertised on ebay ??
Nope, i have agreed a price with another member off here .
Old 08-27-2008, 06:53 AM

I think the cooling mods will be more suited to intermittent high engine load conditions rather than constant loads. This is because engine temperatures will stabilise when running at a constant load. The only difference with running a lower temp stat/fan switch is that this will increase the time to which it reaches these temperatures. Increasing ignition/leaning fuel mixture will create higher combustion temperatures therefore the cooling system is better equipped to deal with intermittent high loads with these mods as opposed to constant loads. I raised this point earlier in the thread, and requested opinions on whether these mods were in fact more suited to road conditions.

I PM'd MB who concurs that running these mods would be beneficial on the road whereas on the track they may become maxxed out. There is no data AFAIK on this but I would buy the mods.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:56 AM

Thanks awaiting replies.

Is the mugen and spoon thermostat the same? (okjay i know the name aint), im sure they operate at the same temps just cant seem to find anywhere that has the spoon instock and i figured there should be no problem using a mugen instead.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:31 AM

MB

Your argument does have its merits but the logic is weak. Ok why just do these spoon cooling mods, why not spend real money and get the best cooling mods that way your car will definately be running better! Spoon has many further mods so to run it at its best you will need to get the back catalogue!

How do you know exactly what they mapped it around? Can someone tell us? Doesnt it come with 'maps' and not a map?

I say plug it in and let it play with your mods, use good fuel and keep oil fresh. If your going to abuse it or track it look into the mods that will keep it reliable such as oil pan baffles racing rads etc,thermostats etc, this is the case even if you dont have a spoon ecu!

I think the engine doesnt need extra cooling systems for normal or fast road use with a spoon ecu
Old 08-27-2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ajs_s2k,Aug 27 2008, 04:56 PM
Thanks awaiting replies.

Is the mugen and spoon thermostat the same? (okjay i know the name aint), im sure they operate at the same temps just cant seem to find anywhere that has the spoon instock and i figured there should be no problem using a mugen instead.
I'm not sure on the opening temperature of the stat but i'm sure i've read that it's lower on the Spoon. I doubt this will make a difference though. I bought one from nengun for under ~
Old 08-28-2008, 02:28 AM

[QUOTE=s2ook,Aug 27 2008, 08:08 PM] I'm not sure on the opening temperature of the stat but i'm sure i've read that it's lower on the Spoon. I doubt this will make a difference though. I bought one from nengun for under ~

Quick Reply: Spoon ECU