UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Spindle nut related

Old 08-18-2006, 07:02 AM
LTB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spindle nut related

Had an intermittent fault on the car which started in Calais as I was finishing my recent Euro hoon.

Basically a really nasty sound coming from the back of the car which had the same rhythm as wheel rotation.

My first thoughts were something trapped between the brake pads and discs and then my thoughts moved on to possible wheel bearing problems and the LSD.

After a while the sound went so I thought I'll just keep an eye on it over the next few days and see what happens. Started again today so swung round the dealers on the way back and after a quick drive with the mechanic and getting it up on a ramp the consensus is that the near side rear wheel bearing has gone. There was quite a bit of play in the wheel especially compared to the other rear.

So booked in for new bearing, cost is
Old 08-18-2006, 07:12 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Your rear pads and discs needed doing at the alignment meet!! now when was that?
Old 08-18-2006, 07:14 AM
LTB

Yeah, but I was waiting for something else to go wrong on the car before I negociated a price with the Dealer.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Administrator

Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

Can you ask them the price of the spindle nut (you know it needs replacing? - one use only) and the part number they use?

Ta!
Old 08-18-2006, 08:07 AM
LTB

Originally Posted by AquilaEagle,Aug 18 2006, 03:50 PM
Can you ask them the price of the spindle nut (you know it needs replacing? - one use only) and the part number they use?

Ta!
Will show the Service Manager the News Bulletin thing and then seek their opinion as to whether the nut needs replacing.

If it does I'll get the part number and price and send you the details.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:10 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hmmm, did you see the play in the bearing / wheel?

The pads do this noise when they are worn as there is a metal marker that touches the disc, and does it when not braking. Sounds v nasty. I had it on mine couple of months back. New discs and pads and hey presto.

MB
Old 08-18-2006, 08:30 AM
LTB

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Aug 18 2006, 04:10 PM
Hmmm, did you see the play in the bearing / wheel?

The pads do this noise when they are worn as there is a metal marker that touches the disc, and does it when not braking. Sounds v nasty. I had it on mine couple of months back. New discs and pads and hey presto.

MB
I was in the workshop with the guy when he had it up on the ramps and there was definitely more play in one wheel than the other.

The pads aren't that worn I don't think, but I will go and have a quick inspection. How low would they need to get before the metal marker kicks in ?

I certainly need a new set of discs and therefore pads, but it would be nice to be able to eliminate the wheel bearing from the equation.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:34 AM
LTB

Just had a quick visual inspection and to my untrained eye there is about 4mm remaining on the pads.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:35 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Its a head turning screech and is there to tell you the pad is v low, rather than it being totally shot. They get loud becuase of the marker - its part of the pad.

WRT play, was that lateral (side to side) or rotational.

MB
Old 08-18-2006, 08:38 AM
LTB

Originally Posted by Dark Blue Mark,Aug 18 2006, 04:35 PM
WRT play, was that lateral (side to side) or rotational.

MB
When he gripped the wheel, holding at due west and due east if you like, he could pull it foreward and back with a bit of movement and then side to side if he pushed one extreme and pulled the other. Certainly more movement than he was able to generate from the other rear.

Quick Reply: Spindle nut related