UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Speeding ticket advice Please.

Old 08-01-2002, 09:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speeding ticket advice Please.

A good friend of mine was driving from Luton airport to malvern, or thereabouts a couple of weeks ago early on a Sunday morning.

He was in a bit of rush, (plane was late) on his way to a christening where he was Godfather.

Anyway a week later he received a notice of impending prosecution.
Doing 45 in a 30mph zone. He rang the magistrates and was informed he is likely to recieve a
Old 08-01-2002, 10:06 AM

Dream on, every flash and letter counts
Old 08-01-2002, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by rudester
He has heard that as the tickets were amassed on the same journey, he wont have had time to learn from his mistake so might be let off the second ticket
Heard from where, the Magistrates? The police? or the bloke in the pub?

I have a client whose sister-in-law, with a clean licence, drove from Llanfyllin to Portsmouth and back over a two day period. Within two weeks she received 4 FPNs for the same stretch of road, 2 going into Portsmouth and 2 coming out.

My client told me about this last week. I meant to tell the board but didn't get around to it
Old 08-01-2002, 11:33 AM

Oh dear,

I will pass on your words of wisdom.

To add insult to injury said offences were comitted in a "Kermit" Green Hyundai accent.

Never a petrolhead even he is thinking of "tooling up"
Old 08-01-2002, 11:51 PM

If he went to court and the same court covered both cameras, the magistrate might show some compassion and reduce the penalty for him. However, by taking the matter to court and not holding his hands up first time around, he might find the magistrate hands out a harsher punishment - he doesn't deny the speeding and he was caught so the only defence he has is that he was late.

Unfortunate as it was, I would take the fine, the points and buy a detector.
Old 08-01-2002, 11:55 PM

There was a case a few years ago where a motorcyclist got caught by two cameras along Southend sea front. He challenged it because with points already on his licence the two extra offences cost him a ban, so his defence was that he never dropped below the speed limit between the two cameras thus he was punished twice for the same offence. He lost the case, and his licence.

potfish
Old 08-02-2002, 12:52 AM

I heard of a similar case to Potfish, but seem to remember the biker getting off one of the tickets . If I was your friend, I'd get some proper legal advice from someone who knows the case law.....and quick!!
Old 08-02-2002, 12:58 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Now, if rudester's friend had been on a bike he wouldn't have got any tickets.....

....all of the cameras in and around Luton are forward facing
Old 08-02-2002, 01:26 AM

Originally posted by NeilW
I heard of a similar case to Potfish, but seem to remember the biker getting off one of the tickets . If I was your friend, I'd get some proper legal advice from someone who knows the case law.....and quick!!
Good advice - its totally dependant on the skills of the solicitor againist the mindset of the magistrates.

Some years ago, 11 to be exact, I was tailed by a police car, and acused of doing seventy five in a fourty, which was complete b**locks. Also it would have meant a ban, and large fine.

I contested it, admitting speeding but at 55mph, I was found guilty of 60mph, so 5 points and
Old 08-02-2002, 03:09 AM
tnt

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PWE 896
[B]Heard from where, the Magistrates? The police? or the bloke in the pub?

I have a client whose sister-in-law, with a clean licence, drove from Llanfyllin to Portsmouth and back over a two day period. Within two weeks she received 4 FPNs for the same stretch of road, 2 going into Portsmouth and 2 coming out.

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket advice Please.