UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

speeding ticket...

Old 10-24-2014, 12:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speeding ticket...

Well lapse in concentration this morning driving along thinking about something, suddenly spotted high vis at the side of the road and then realised I was doing 40mph on the speedo in a 30. Slowed it was a police car parked up with 4 officers, 1 stood with a small camera held to his chest pointing at me.

So I guess I've got a ticket damit! This was just outside Swindon near wotton bassett, I think Wiltshire police? I heard they don't offer speed awareness courses, does anyone know if that's true?
Old 10-24-2014, 12:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I think they would have pulled you over further up the road if they were going to prosecute.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

unless it was recording which I doubt , you'll be fine, like eSem said unless it took your picture they would have to pull you over
Old 10-24-2014, 02:06 AM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

You never know it might have been a Tax-checking ANPR rather than a speed gun
Old 10-24-2014, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by BenRNBP
You never know it might have been a Tax-checking ANPR rather than a speed gun
True, it was an odd gun, small and he wasn't holding it up to his eye had it pointing at me from his chest.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm pretty sure hand held speed guns aren't admissable as they're not accurate enough. You can get a decent speed out of a tree if you run the sights up the trunk.

If it was on a tripod that's a different matter.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:32 AM
CDP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gaffa
unless it was recording which I doubt , you'll be fine, like eSem said unless it took your picture they would have to pull you over
Speed guns don't record and they don't need a photo. If it was 2 officers with high vis on then one will be checking the speed and the other will write down your reg.

I've had this happen to me before. It's then your word against them if you want to argue the toss. They are usually sneaky and hide at the end of a road beside a wall or next to a tree in the shade on a nice sunny day so you don't see them until the last moment. But then, you shouldn't be speeding! lol
Old 10-24-2014, 02:52 AM

Received 134 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by eSeM
I think they would have pulled you over further up the road if they were going to prosecute.
Depends on the device, and if they had a chase car further up the road with a standing officer, who would wave you over to issue the penalty in the rozzer car.
He can still get a ticket. Lets hope it just was an ANPR test
Old 10-24-2014, 03:06 AM

Well will just have to wait the 14 days to see if something comes in the post. I don't Advocate speeding, a lapse in concentration meant I had failed to realise I had just gone past the speed change to 30.

I did spot them at distance and looking at google streetview I spotted them at max range before a tripod is needed. I accept what ever fate comes of it, but from some googling it looks like Wiltshire might not do speed awareness courses, which is an annoyance.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:19 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Often if you see them and slow down they will be lenient and let you off, if you had breezed past them at 40 oblivious then it's a nick. As it was a handheld camera they might have been out so the council can put up a "Police speed check area" sign and a camera sign. In my view a very good idea.

Quick Reply: speeding ticket...