UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Spark plugs for nitrous install

Old 02-28-2012, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plugs for nitrous install

Hi all,

I have nearly finished installing my nitrous kit, I just need some spark plugs.

I need some that are 1 step colder than standard, and i'd like NGK's. I understand the standard heat rating for the S2000 is 7, am I correct in thinking that for NGK plugs, the higher the number, the colder the plug?

So i need some heat range 8 plugs?

Can anybody advise which plugs I should go for? I have been told that NGK BKR8EIX would be suitable.

But i'm not sure.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, the higher the number the colder the rating. NGK BKR8EIX will be fine.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:27 AM

Thanks.

I've been searching some US sites and it would appear that the NGK R5672A-8 (7173) is the plug they tend to use.

So I'll probably go for these and see how they go.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:36 AM

I'd go for the NGK BKR8EIX and see how they go, I run them on my supercharged S2000 with no problem for years.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:37 AM

I'd go for the NGK BKR8EIX and see how they go, I run them on my supercharged S2000 with no problem for years.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by s2konroids

Thanks - I'll go for those ones then :-)

Any advice on the cheapest place to get them?
Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 AM

The only reason I'd go with them is a know they work and they are the correct Gap, but up to you mate.

No idea, i bought mine from a local motor-factors probably cheapest on ebay.

Keep us updated with the NOS install

Aj
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM

BKR8EIX Very good plug.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:52 AM

You won't need to run colder plugs with nitrous any way.

The only reason you'd need colder plugs is for a worry that you were going to detonate the fuel.

The is common with boost because of the pressures involved - something you simply don't get with Nitrous.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:26 AM

Ron correct to an extent however, but no-one will be running small 25 shots etc.

I'll start be saying the tune is more important than the spark plug, I'd definitely run 1 stage colder spark plug though for sure worse that can happen is it fouls up but unlikely.

The heat range is the temp of nose, a cold plug transfer heat faster but its detonation which is the most important factor here, you don't want to knacker con rods etc or break/melt spark plugs esp when your 'on' it. Generally a hotter engine requires a colder plug, however the heat range of a spark plug doesn't have a massive effect on the combustion chamber/engine temps.

There are certain factors that determine the correct heat range of your plug, ignition timing, AFR's - leaner needs colder, compression ratio (a biggy here as the f20c is relatively high), and obviously fuel RON ratings. NOS raises cylinder temperatuires and pressures, but with NOS its the rate at which the temperature increases, and RPM to an extent. As we know raises in pressure add temperature just like an SC, to get heat out of the cylinder you use a colder spark plug rating.

NOS simply creates extra oxygen thus generates a lot more power by allowing more fuel to be burned as said above, so with all these factors its best running a colder plug since there is more chance of det and its safer running a colder plug IMO.

Quick Reply: Spark plugs for nitrous install