UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

Spa trip 2010

Old 08-05-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Evening. Home from a 10 hour journey back from The Ring. Bloody roadworks in Liege - and I was trying to avoid Liege too.

I got 4 laps in, in what was only an hour and a half session including a closure for a huge GT3 accident. I was quite pleased with myself though, I think probably the 4 best ring laps I've done, certainly since the days of S02s. Must have still had the Spa trackday driving experience fresh in my mind because usually I'm scared of the bumps and all over the road for the first 4 laps of any Ring trip.

As for Spa, I know I was never doing Eau Rouge very well, and if Simon has a video of our last session he closed up on me at an alarming rate up the straight. I did see 118 up there on one occasion, and I will say that I was the ONLY S2000 owner who did the entire 2 days with the roof down.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:37 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Hardcore roof down Thought Simon had his down all the time? The one time I did it, I did enjoy it. You can hear the tyres, and it's also much more satisfying overtaking someone in a nice car when you have the roof off, looking like a tart

Shame about the Ring, I've found that the evenings rarely stay open for more than 30 mins due to some idiot crashing and closing the track

Good to hear you got some good laps in though.
Old 08-05-2010, 02:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Wink

Possibly my favorite EVER trackday video.

And its Spa

And there is an S2000 in there if you watch closely
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6iuJN3duDM [/media]
Old 08-05-2010, 02:23 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by MB,Aug 5 2010, 07:37 PM
Hardcore roof down Thought Simon had his down all the time? The one time I did it, I did enjoy it. You can hear the tyres, and it's also much more satisfying overtaking someone in a nice car when you have the roof off, looking like a tart

Shame about the Ring, I've found that the evenings rarely stay open for more than 30 mins due to some idiot crashing and closing the track

Good to hear you got some good laps in though.
No, I had the roof up when it was raining on Monday morning, and also tried a run with the roof up to see how much difference it made to top speed (5-8mph I'd guess).

As for catching Dave, I only have some footage of me following him on Monday. I'll see if I can sort it out for you.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at this Mugen Honda video from Spa, sounds as if he's got a different final drive ratio, also, the Bus Stop chicane is more flowing, his lap time is about 3:03, was the former layout a longer lap? If not, it doesn't look as there is an advantage of having a shorter final drive at Spa.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNcZIvLQNOQ [/media]
Old 08-06-2010, 11:39 AM
MB

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I can't see YouTube at work, but I think I know the vid you mean Barry. That car definately has a modified FD and some other tweaks.

I don't think Spa is the right track for a FD, but I could see how somewhere like Rockingham or Combe wouls suit it as there or some short sprint bits before a sharp bend.

It's not something I plan to do, as nice as it sounds on track, as I think it would cause issues on motorways. My VTEC comes in at 5400 now so I would probably limited to 80 mph in 6th
Old 08-06-2010, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a nearly wise man once said to me, a final drive solves nothing, you need to learn how to corner faster.

It was Krazik. And I like that philosopy. If you need a half gear through a corner, do something that increases your cornering speed.
Old 08-09-2010, 08:18 AM

Love it, love Spa, glad you all had a great time!

Simon your vid is really cool with the foot-cam too. I haven't driven an S for years and I'm by no means an authority, but we've got our steering wheel pretty much straight before the cresty bump at the top of eau rouge and still our nose tucks in in time if we get the line right, and we're flat all the way from the previous hairpin.

Don't know if that's a car setup things or whether it's caused by us taking yet more kerb on the initial left hand side, or whether it's something else.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:10 PM
UK Moderator
UK Moderator

Received 307 Likes on 262 Posts

Here's a lap of me following Dembo (apologies for sound)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOPljw0LBqU [/media]
Old 08-21-2010, 12:36 PM

Quick Reply: Spa trip 2010