UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

SORTED! So it's not the tyres...

Old 12-28-2008, 02:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeC'S2k' date='Dec 28 2008, 08:54 AM
IF it is the suspension, how much are new struts?
S2000 doesn't have struts.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Survey S2000' date='Dec 28 2008, 02:40 AM
Im not the most mechanically minded Mike but i cant help thinking that excessive wear on the OUTSIDE edge (the inside edge should wear away first on std geo settings) might be the cause or affect of a problem.

Did you check the rears before you swapped them? These may have worn in the same way. If so maybe the new tyre have exposed the 'toe out'(??) of the rfs because the new tyre are not bedded in yet they are increasing the effect of the car be out on its geo.

If the car isnt sitting level then i would guess its more than just the geo. Some people on here have experienced problems when the car has been jacked up and it not settling/sitting right corectly afterwards.

If your unable to get it fixed FOC then i know CG are now doing suspension packages and are good at the geo. If i was experiencing your problems id be thinking of this as an option.
Survey - the original rear tyres were wearing on the inside edges as normal, and these are as well, but the tread on the outer edge of one wheel certainly feels rougher when you run your hand over the tyre compared to the other side.

You say some people have experienced problems when jacking the car up and letting it down again - what problems is this? Does it sometimes not settle right on its suspension? Would it be worth me jacking the car up again allowing the dampers to fully extend and then lower it down gently again?

I won't be able to get it fixed FOC I'm sure, but Wheels-InMotion can do 4 wheel Geo checks and, whilst they don't have the experience of S2000's that CG do, they are also only 1 mile down the road from me - hopefully they are open tmrw and I can get this sorted!

Once I've got the Geo checked/adjusted i'll be looking at the suspension if the problem is still there.
Old 12-28-2008, 04:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Handy to have a suspension shop close at hand.
I hope you get it resolved either way

The bolt thats been turned on the front is certainly the camber adjustment.
Unfortunately this will also interact with other settings so I would have expected them to adjust the toe ('tracking') as well.

If you force turn this adjuster bolt and its seized in the bush, you will take the bush with it.
This 'could' cause it to sit high, or just plain wrong.
I think maybe this is the problem.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:50 AM

Its only the rear thats not sitting right, not the front...?
Old 12-28-2008, 08:23 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I'll put money on the tyre fitters not have touched the alignment of rear suspension and only fiddled with the tracking at the front.

Still think its the tyres personally....
Old 12-28-2008, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by lower' date='Dec 28 2008, 09:23 AM
I'll put money on the tyre fitters not have touched the alignment of rear suspension and only fiddled with the tracking at the front.

Still think its the tyres personally....
I know they didn't touch anything at the back, only the front! Cant just be the tires though...
Old 12-28-2008, 12:16 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Why not? Nothing else has changed except the tyres.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:48 PM

If you were getting some uneven rear tyre wear, and the tyre fitters did change the tracking, then it is possible that the old front toe tended to mask the problem and by fixing the tracking it now feels worse.

Either way, getting the geo done on a car that hasn't had it for a while is a pretty good idea.

If you still don't like it, then it's almost certainly the tyres.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I suppose if we plug away for long enough we'll get the whole story...
Old 12-28-2008, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by m1bjr' date='Dec 28 2008, 10:53 PM
I suppose if we plug away for long enough we'll get the whole story...
You have to have read all the seven or eight different threads.

Quick Reply: SORTED! So it's not the tyres...