UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

SORTED! So it's not the tyres...

Old 12-24-2008, 07:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post SORTED! So it's not the tyres...

Went over to meet tomkbucks with Adam K in tow this morning, to try and get to the bottom of my high speed wobble!

After a few scuffed knuckles trying to undo my wheel nuts, and a few scuffed shins trying to kick tom's front wheels off, we eventually managed to swap the front wheels over so I could try his Goodyear Eage F1's with my matching rears.

Went for a drive and...same problem, possibly a little worse. Still got the wobble, now starts at 60mph instead of 70 though!

We went out for a spin and Tom then had a look at my car and thinks the geometry could be quite out, so thats the next thing to check. Of course, the tyre place checked the tracking when I put the new rear tyres on, but as we all know the S2000 is infinitely more adjustable than that.

So, next up is a geo check, hopefully before the Herts breakfast run on the 30th!!

On a brighter note, I also fitted my new 04-on radio door (cheers A7DY W for such prompt delivery!), picked up my new EBC OEM-spec rear discs and pads, spotted Tom's missing wheels nuts (I'll let him explain) and Adam & Tom got to bump start a Lambo (i'll let them explain!).

So, cheers to Tom for his help and wheels this morning, and lets see what the geo people make of it!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:39 AM

Did you try changing the rears while you had the chance? Tyre could be incorrectly balenced.

Also your halfshafts one or both could be on the way out, they rumble when the joints are going or when they are off balance.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Presumably you have grabbed the top and bottom of the wheels whilst jacked up and given everything a darned good tug?
Old 12-24-2008, 07:45 AM

Are the faces of your discs corroded. ? When I put new wheels on mine, the front of the discs where the wheel presses against had heavy rust deposits on. Mounting a wheel on while the face was still covered in crap, would cause the wheel to not sit straight and would cause wobble.

If yours are like this, then rub the front of the disc down with course wet/dry paper to clean it up, then mount the wheel.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:24 AM

It will be your geo mate exact same problem as I had ......one of the rears was toeing in at a ridiculous angle on the rear causing it to feel very unstable at speed.(Although this cannot really be noticed by eye)
When you changed to the softer tyre you notice its inbalance! As said when I had s02's on which are hard tyres it masks the issue dont ask me how but it does, then move to softer tyres and you realise that the car isn't right!

If you go to CG ask for the high speed stability set up as I did its fantastic transforms the car
Old 12-24-2008, 08:41 AM

i'd reckon on halfshafts. i have done decent speed with my geo miles out when i'd fitted my suspension - no issues
Old 12-24-2008, 08:47 AM

Wheels not bucked are they?
Old 12-24-2008, 09:03 AM

I reckon its the Badgers, or elves.
Or even the mulled wine.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by MARTS2K' date='Dec 24 2008, 09:24 AM
It will be your geo mate exact same problem as I had ......one of the rears was toeing in at a ridiculous angle on the rear causing it to feel very unstable at speed.(Although this cannot really be noticed by eye)
When you changed to the softer tyre you notice its inbalance! As said when I had s02's on which are hard tyres it masks the issue dont ask me how but it does, then move to softer tyres and you realise that the car isn't right!

If you go to CG ask for the high speed stability set up as I did its fantastic transforms the car
I'm fairly certain its the geo - a retired mjechanic noted that my drivers side rear tyre is being chewed up on the outer edge (you can feel the tread is rougher than on the passenger side if you run your hand over it) plus Tom seems to think the geo is out - oh, and one side sits slightly higher than the other meaning the suspension could be due for an upgrade!

So what are half shafts? Something like a drive shaft but half the size? Something to do with the diff? Either way, would could be "wrong" with them, how do you fix them, and how much does it cost?

Similarly, how much are replacement suspension struts if they are the problem?

Need to get the geo done asap I think - what are the recommended settings, cos I may be able to at least get it checked and see how far out it is!

Cheers
Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 AM

If its that bad you can be sure its been slid into a kerb.
Can you take it back or is it too late?
Big bills are looming if its bent.

Get a long bit of 2x1 wood (straight) or similar straight edge.
Lay it across the rims horizontally across the wheel centres.
From that you will easily see how they compare, and what kind of angles you currently have.

Higher suspension one side - shagged coilover, bent suspension arm/subframe or bushes tightened when in the incorrect attitude.

My guess is its had a good bang in the side rear wheel and the vibration is due to a busted hub or toe arm joint.

Good luck, I think you will need a good slice of it!

Quick Reply: SORTED! So it's not the tyres...