UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

SORN warning

Old 06-21-2011, 12:05 PM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Ste_Nova
Originally Posted by Stoatmaster' timestamp='1308684086' post='20705229
[quote name='Ste_Nova' timestamp='1308681464' post='20705053']
i'm the registered keeper of my mums 106gti, she insures it with tesco once a year gets tax then cancels the ins within 14 days getting all the money back, she never drives the car, me and my dad then drive drive the car round on our drive any car not belonging to us sections of our insurance, all legal and above board until this new rule
Do you have traders insurance? If not, the 'other' car you are driving MUST have it's own insurance policy in place with a named driver, even if it is only third party. The reason for this being you are only insured on the other vehicle while you are actually driving it. If it gets stolen, catches fire, or rolls off down the road and crushes someone it is not covered and you are liable.
it's only ever on the drive or being driven, and its my mum that would be liable as she is the owner
[/quote]
If you are only driving the Gti on private/off road ground you can SORN and it forget the tax. as for the "any car not belonging to" clause is very restrictive and can cause you problems. Going the named driver route is better but you have to prove now that you are not the main driver i.e. you don't use it as your commute and end up doing more miles than the policy holder and you have to provide proof. It's all getting very tricky now because of mum insuring the kids car and naming the new driver is not recognised by most insurers, thats how multi car policies came about.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

it's a non-story

declaring or revoking sorn is dead easy

and once declared you get a reminder when it's due for renewal

the changes simply mean a further inconvenience for people who put cars on and off road uninsured and untaxed

afaiac that's a good thing and not in the slightest inconvenient for a normal law-abiding citizen
Old 06-21-2011, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i drive it on the road and will until the tax runs out at the end of june then mum may have to have it insured all year round with me as a named driver, i will do more miles cause she doesn't drive lol
Old 06-21-2011, 12:41 PM

i drive it on the road and will until the tax runs out at the end of june then mum may have to have it insured all year round with me as a named driver, i will do more miles cause she doesn't drive lol
you won't legaly be able to do that with some policies, that will mean you are driving without insurence you will be done for that and Mom will be done for permitting you to drive without insurence.
Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cause she doesn't drive lol
I hope she has a driving license!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by richmc
Originally Posted by Ste_Nova' timestamp='1308687884' post='20705449
you won't legaly be able to do that with some policies, that will mean you are driving without insurence you will be done for that and Mom will be done for permitting you to drive without insurence.
i have 3 of my own cars with my own ins on, i don't think they would do any investigating
Old 06-21-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by dennohue
Originally Posted by Ste_Nova' timestamp='1308687884' post='20705449
Try getting insurence without one!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by richmc
Originally Posted by dennohue' timestamp='1308689178' post='20705529
[quote name='Ste_Nova' timestamp='1308687884' post='20705449']
Try getting insurence without one!
[/quote]

she has... but along the same lines my friend has been drivng his sons car on the drive any car bit on his insurance, his son is 4
Old 06-21-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoatmaster' timestamp='1308684086' post='20705229
i'm the registered keeper of my mums 106gti, she insures it with tesco once a year gets tax then cancels the ins within 14 days getting all the money back, she never drives the car, me and my dad then drive drive the car round on our drive any car not belonging to us sections of our insurance, all legal and above board until this new rule
Do you have traders insurance? If not, the 'other' car you are driving MUST have it's own insurance policy in place with a named driver, even if it is only third party. The reason for this being you are only insured on the other vehicle while you are actually driving it. If it gets stolen, catches fire, or rolls off down the road and crushes someone it is not covered and you are liable.
it's only ever on the drive or being driven, and its my mum that would be liable as she is the owner
[/quote]

What you are doing is illegal then. Your insurance document will probably state somewhere that the vehicle you are driving must have a named policy applied to it. What's to stop your mother buying some exotic car and then you driving it on your own policy to avoid the premium on something like a Gallardo?

You are very lucky you have never had an incident, as you are effectively un-insured whenever you climb into that 106. Insurance companies will use any means to avoid paying out, if you had the misfortune to injure somebody you are liable for tens of thousands of pounds. Your not alone though, many people think what you are doing is legal and above board. They are wrong.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Stoatmaster
Originally Posted by Ste_Nova' timestamp='1308685727' post='20705300
[quote name='Stoatmaster' timestamp='1308684086' post='20705229']
[/quote]

What you are doing is illegal then. Your insurance document will probably state somewhere that the vehicle you are driving must have a named policy applied to it. What's to stop your mother buying some exotic car and then you driving it on your own policy to avoid the premium on something like a Gallardo?

You are very lucky you have never had an incident, as you are effectively un-insured whenever you climb into that 106. Insurance companies will use any means to avoid paying out, if you had the misfortune to injure somebody you are liable for tens of thousands of pounds. Your not alone though, many people think what you are doing is legal and above board. They are wrong.
[/quote]

1 of my policys says the other car has to be insured the other 2 policys don't, i've been pulled in it for no insurance showing and once they have seen the document and called it though everything is fine and i'm on my way