UK & Ireland S2000 Community Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it in the UK and Ireland. Including FAQs, and technical questions.

SORN warning

Old 06-20-2011, 01:56 AM

Received 85 Likes on 68 Posts
Default SORN warning

just to let you know, from today it is an offence to have an uninsured car garaged, off road etc. without a SORN certificate, you can be prosecuted for failing to insure the car and are liable for any damage caused by it and it will be classed as criminal damage, i.e. if you have an attached garage and the car catches fire and burns the house down you will by omission to secure insurance be theoretically guilty of arson and your home insurance will be invalid, harsh or what if you have sorn’ed the car there is no problem. If you dump an uninsured car on waste ground and someone torches it you are liable for all costs involved from the fire service to police time in tracing the owner disposal etc. and if someone is injured as a result, you are liable both criminally and in civil law.
These are just two examples of many issued to the magistrates courts, in short you will be hung by the gentlemen’s veg for anything that happens if you are not insured and haven't got a SORN cert.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hasn't this always been the case since SORN was introduced... or has it the other way around? ie: car declared SORN but actually driving it.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:02 AM

Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by veehexx
hasn't this always been the case since SORN was introduced... or has it the other way around? ie: car declared SORN but actually driving it.
A car could have been uninsured but still be taxed so no need to make a SORN.
This has now changed, if it is uninsured you must make a SORN even if there is tax remaining.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

think it'll stop people driving an uninsured car? i doubt it.
Old 06-20-2011, 10:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

People are not going to stop driving round uninsured until the insurance companies stop being rediculous in this country, which is probably never.
Old 06-20-2011, 01:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Lets be honest...

With the increased relaince upon ANPR

All you need are duff plates.

Old 06-20-2011, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a joke. ATM i have two vans. 1. my main van i work from 2. my old van im in the process of selling. Both are taxed but only my main van insured. im going camping this weekend so am going to swap my insurance to my old van because its empty. i cant afford to insure both so by law i now have to apply sorn for my main van for four days then re-apply for tax again. Lets face it, the only people this is going to affect is the law abiding citizens. average joe criminal aint gonna care because he dont insure his car anyway.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm the registered keeper of my mums 106gti, she insures it with tesco once a year gets tax then cancels the ins within 14 days getting all the money back, she never drives the car, me and my dad then drive drive the car round on our drive any car not belonging to us sections of our insurance, all legal and above board until this new rule
Old 06-21-2011, 11:21 AM

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Ste_Nova
i'm the registered keeper of my mums 106gti, she insures it with tesco once a year gets tax then cancels the ins within 14 days getting all the money back, she never drives the car, me and my dad then drive drive the car round on our drive any car not belonging to us sections of our insurance, all legal and above board until this new rule
Do you have traders insurance? If not, the 'other' car you are driving MUST have it's own insurance policy in place with a named driver, even if it is only third party. The reason for this being you are only insured on the other vehicle while you are actually driving it. If it gets stolen, catches fire, or rolls off down the road and crushes someone it is not covered and you are liable.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stoatmaster
Originally Posted by Ste_Nova' timestamp='1308681464' post='20705053
Do you have traders insurance? If not, the 'other' car you are driving MUST have it's own insurance policy in place with a named driver, even if it is only third party. The reason for this being you are only insured on the other vehicle while you are actually driving it. If it gets stolen, catches fire, or rolls off down the road and crushes someone it is not covered and you are liable.
it's only ever on the drive or being driven, and its my mum that would be liable as she is the owner

Quick Reply: SORN warning